SAL-70400G---First impressions

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
01af
Imperial Ambassador

SAL-70400G---First impressions

Unread post by 01af »

A few days ago I took delivery of the Sony SAL 70-400 mm 1:4-5.6 G SSM lens, for use on the Sony Alpha 900 (i. e. full-frame 35-mm format). Here are some of my first impressions. First of all: This lens definitely is GREAT ... still there are a few shortcomings.

The strong points:
  • Wide zoom range (5.7×); at long focusing distance the long end's focal length really is as long as the Minolta AF Apo 400 mm 1:4.5 G's.
  • Very good contrast and sharpness in a wide area around the frame's center at all focal lengths and all apertures; very low chromatic aberrations at the long and short ends, extremely low at the middle of the range.
  • Fully usable with the Minolta AF 1.4× TC-II Apo at 560 mm (in manual-focus mode only, of course), only minimal loss of contrast.
  • Very good mechanical build quality; there's no wobbling at all in the front barrel and no play in the focus and zoom rings.
  • The focus ring has a gear reduction so when focusing manually, it will travel twice as far as the actual focus scale under the little window; focusing manually is a joy, even with a 1.4× tele converter attached.
  • The focus ring doesn't rotate when auto-focusing.
  • The SSM auto-focusing mechanism is silent, accurate, and responds well to fine shifts of focus distance.
  • The silver finish, albeit butt-ugly, does serve a purpose, and does it well: In the sunshine the lens always is significantly cooler than the black camera body. Furthermore the surface seems fairly scratch-resistant, much unlike the notorious white paint of the Minolta apo telephoto lenses.
  • Virtually no distortion at 70 mm.
The weak points:
  • Pretty strong vignetting at full aperture at all local lengths, particularly at the short end (on full-frame format).
  • Some fall-off of sharpness at the frame's edges at the short end.
  • Pincushion-shaped distortion at all focal lengths except 70 mm; moderate at 100 - 135 mm, pretty strong at 200 - 400 mm (at least the distortion responds well to Photoshop's Lens Correction filter; there is no obvious wave-form component in the distorion).
  • Zoom ring is very stiff (but on the other hand there is absolutely no zoom creep whatsoever, so the stiffness seems acceptable in exchange for that).
  • Lens hood feels so flimsy as if it was made of card-board paper reinforced with a thin coat of synthetic resin lacquer. However Sony states that in an attempt to save weight, the hood was made from a high-tech material which allegedly is stronger than it feels. Well, how much truth is in that statement remains to be seen---indeed my hood has not cracked yet; still I don't feel too confident about its sturdiness.
Despite these flaws, the SAL-70400G still is the best zoom lens I've ever seen in its range. It's clearly superior to the Minolta AF Apo 100-400 mm 1:4.5-6.7 in all aspects (except price and size) and also better overall than my excellent Minolta AF 75-300 mm 1:4.5-5.6 (a. k. a. 'Big Beercan') ... albeit the latter has more even sharpness across the frame at the short end. And unlike most telephoto zoom lenses, the SAL goes well with tele converters. The SAL's fall-off at the short end I can live with, and the vignetting and the distortion hardly matter in my applications (mostly equestrian sports events). In critical cases I can always resort to Camera Raw's or Photoshop's lens correction tools to remove any vignetting and distortion.

Size and weight of the SAL-70400G are substantial so this definitely is no walk-around lens for casual snap-shooting ... or for airborne traveling. Still I don't consider this a bad point because wide zoom range and high performance simply don't go together with small size and light weight. The silver finish does attract some unwanted attention---but as I said, on the other hand it helps keeping the lens' temperature down in the sunshine. At times, the SSM mechanism will fail for no apparent reason which is very annoying ... until I noticed that when hand-holding the lens, the palm of the hand will sometimes unintentionally touch the lower focus-hold button which will keep the auto-focus from working. No big deal, just something to be aware of.

On an APS-C-format body this lens gets transformed to a 105-600 mm equivalent, and both vgnetting and distortion then will become basically non-issues.

-- Olaf

EDIT: See a follow-up here.
Last edited by 01af on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: SAL-70400G---First impressions

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Very important contribution, Olaf. And, of course, congratulations. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Congratulations Olaf & thanks for posting your first impressions. Very interesting.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

I've had mine since February (1 of the first in the UK) for use on A700/7D & agree that it's best in class - I have plenty of friends with the Canon 100-400 IS L & the G is better, no doubt imo. I've also used the Nikon 80-400mmm & again imo the G is better overall.
The silver finish does seem very resistant to marking.

My copy does have zoom creep & I've seen others report it too.
I've also inadvertently touched the focus hold buttons during use & as well as seeming flimsy I also find the lens hood somewhat fiddly with a slight tendency to come off whether on normally or reversed . Perhaps because it's so thin it's also flexible & therefore can deform?

Still, overall worth every penny as far as I'm concerned
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Hi

I had a play with the 70-400G in a camera store yesterday on a a350, I used to think the old Sigma 170-500 I to used on my 600si film body was good. I paid $1600 for it many moons ago, but the 70-400G is the first pro lens I've ever handled, It's a great lenses. indoor hand held shots at 400mm where pin point sharp, colours were spot on and very little CA, to my untrained eye it seemed too suite the 14Mbit a350, pity it sells for $3000.00 Australian.

Stephen
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

01af wrote:Size and weight of the SAL-70400G are substantial so this definitely is no walk-around lens for casual snap-shooting
I have only handled it for a few minutes - do you have any experience about walking around with it for 1 or 2 hours? Manageable? Do you still plan to use your big beercan?
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

bossel wrote:
01af wrote:Size and weight of the SAL-70400G are substantial so this definitely is no walk-around lens for casual snap-shooting ...
I have only handled it for a few minutes - do you have any experience about walking around with it for 1 or 2 hours? Manageable? Do you still plan to use your Big Beercan?
Yes, it's manageable ... but it's work, and you need a certain degree of determination.

I plan to sell my AF Apo 100-400 lens, but I'll keep the AF 75-300 'Big Beercan' ... even though I expect to use it infrequently or hardly at all in the foreseeable future. Still, you simply don't sell the really good lenses; sooner or later you'd regret. I believe my BB is a particularly good copy. I got it off eBay in like-new condition for EUR 90 a few years ago, and I'd be silly to get rid of it. Maybe I shall also sell the AF Apo 100-300 (D) ... it's better than the BB at 300 mm but worse at all other settings, and I haven't used it for years.

-- Olaf
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

I use a Black Rapid strap to carry mine around...almost effortless...even for an old guy like me. A neck strap would have me on my knees after twenty minutes.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks for the depthful observations and testing Olaf. :D
Much appreciated.

I hope you enjoy your new acquisition and take many nice photos with it.

Yildiz
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

I have had no problems carrying it around for many hours at a time - generally it remains attached to my A900 in a Lowepro Slingshot A300, and is removed when needed. I also have an Op/Tech neckstrap attached to the camera which makes it very comfortable when hung around my neck. The biggest problem is not the weight but rather the size - it is a lot of lens to let swing around whilst walking, and for most of the time I have a hand holding onto it.

Philip
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I agree with most of the comments from Olaf and Heidfirst.

My copy does not suffer zoom creep and is stiffer like Olafs.

Yes the hood feels more fragile than say the 100-300APO hood.
I have already dropped it twice and marked it and it is very fiddly to refit (as my 18-250 is).
I prefer the clip on 100-300APO hood.
The filter window is always moving open as the lock position is not positive enough.

I am more than happy with it and my trip out on Tuesday was it's first real use in anger (see battery posting for the A700).
510 frames with 48% power remaining.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Tried a few times in Sony CS and never satisfied with the handling, zoom stiff and AF slow. But still placed my order one week ago apparently no substitute lens with alpha mount at this moment, a moment local photographers go out birding. :mrgreen:
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

A couple of samples shots from the 70-400G.

Mike

All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello Mike,

These are very sharp and good shots.
Can you give an estimate of the distance between the lens and the aircrafts? Did you use a tele-converter?

Thanks,
Yildiz
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

I should perhaps clarify - the zoom creep on my copy isn't bad at all but nor is it totally absent.