In lens motors..how long do they last??

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

In lens motors..how long do they last??

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not to stir up anything, but being a screw drive lens guy..I have little idea of how long in lens motors go for.

I have heard of some issues on the Canikon lens area, but not sure of how widespread this is. Not really talking about the "meant to be high" quality SSM motors, rather the new range of cheaper lenses, obviously must be using cheaper motors.

I suspect DK might have an idea on this one..thoughts from anyone on this???
Will the cheaper motor lenses last? :!:
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: In lens motors..how long do they last??

Unread post by Javelin »

this worries me too sort of. we know manual focus lenses will last 100 years. we know screw drive lenses can last 20 years at least. so far but the electronic parts used in those weren't ROHS compliant. there is an single IC that can be killed a few ways static for example and 1 flexible circuit ribbon. that connection won't last as long as the other parts but is repairable. the ribbons don't seem to have to flex much so they should be OK.

New lenses are all using ROHS compliant methods and it remains to be seen how long those materials last especially the connections. the SSM motors should last a long time but theres lots of other things to make that work that could have problems.

It only worries me as far as the idea that i'd liethem to last 10-20 years I don;t think I need lenses that last longer than that so my feeing is that they will last that long at least but I see a time where my grandkids will see old lenses and say "boy they don't make em like that anymore!"
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have had one Sigma lens for Canon fail on me, in-lens motor seized up. Never had any other Canon lens problem, or been told of any, and that includes on my professional forum at MPA where loads of Canon users really use their gear heavily and often have older stuff.

David
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

aren't your professionals more likely to be using pro quality Ls though & therefore ring motors.
Micromotors seem more prone to fail?

I believe that Pentax have had failures with 2 SDM lenses in particular prone to it.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

Javelin wrote: we know manual focus lenses will last 100 years.
Back in the late 1990's, I bought a used 85mm Minolta Varisoft (MD fit). I never worked out how to take successful pictures with it, but before too long the iris started sticking. I took it into the Minolta repair workshop in Milton Keynes, and was told that they couldn't repair it because the parts were no longer available.

I suppose I could have continued to use it at f2.8, but I wasn't impressed. I can't remember when it finally disappeared from Minolta's official catalogue, but I believe it was only a few years earlier.