More Sony SAM lenses (FF and DT)...

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alexramos7
Initiate

More Sony SAM lenses (FF and DT)...

Unread post by alexramos7 »

Have you seen it??

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/05 ... oming.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They quote a Japanes forum (photofan.jp) where a user talk about 4 new SAM lenses:
28-75 SAM (we already known)
70-200 SAM (?)
10-24 SAM
18-250 SAM

If we see them all are focal in Tamron system and there say the model name:
SAL-2875
SAL-70200
SAL-1024
SAL-18250-2

I don´t know, what do you think??
lock
Heirophant

Re: More Sony SAM lenses (FF and DT)...

Unread post by lock »

If it's true that they are esentially Tamrons, then do not expect much from the ring motorized lenses. At least the one on the 70-200 in Nikon mount is slow. Much slower than with conventional AF on the A700. now, if they could improve the ring motor and at the same time keep the optical quality of this lens...that would change things drastically.

loc
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Pretty sure that's a 70-300 instead of a 70-200. Tamron makes a 70-300/4-5.6, just like the rest of these SAM lenses, and "SAL-70300SAM" is a specification that's already been spotted on Sony Style of Canada. See our main site.
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/05/2 ... 50-leaked/
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

A 70-200 SAM (Tamron design f/2.8) makes sense.
If Sony will release the 28-75 f/2.8 SAM this fast telezoom will be a good complement to FF and APS-C.
Many people like fast telezoom and only Pentax and Sigma make 50-135 or 50-150 DT lenses.

I hope this be truth...
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

70-200mm Sony have an f2.8..no way would they do a tamron re-badge for that one! f4 maybe..that makes sense. But only if they price it to Canon non IS equivalent..and not the IS one!

I should write a book on how to exploit SSS and win over your rivals, by pricing below their IS lenses, IMO this is one of the mistakes sony has made to date. They could do massive damage to Canikon, but don't.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Perhaps they are more interested in profit than just volume?
It's quite interesting to see just how many more units you have to sell to recover lost profit once you start cutting prices.

& remember that they are giving you extra hardware (AS) in the body but not charging for it compared to CaNikon - that has to be recovered too.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Heidfirst wrote:Perhaps they are more interested in profit than just volume?

Hmmm, well I thought they were trying to get more market share? Imagine a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens, sells for around £520 odd. Obviously no IS, now the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L IS USM sells for a lot more £900-£950 odd.
Then we go up to the usual 70-200mm f2.8 series. Canon have 2 of those as well, one IS, one without.

Why not sell a Sony 70-200mm f4 for £600 odd or near the Canon? Do Canon not make a profit on lenses? I suspect they do :shock:

The SSS/AS factor could be used as a major weapon, but it's not..
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

From the moment Sony showed the lenses at PMA, it became instantly clear that all the Tamron based Sony's would get replaced by SAM ones. The 55-200 SAM was the dead give away.

The 11-18, 18-200 are almost certainly on their way out. So nothing will become of them.

The 18-250 will be around for a while, so it gets the SAM overhaul.

The 28-75 is getting re-ported again (following the KM port), but this time bringing the micro motor.

The 10-24 is what's curious to me. We knows it's coming, but there is a big SAM question there. One would expect it to be SAM based on all the other stuff going on. But far as we know, the Tamron is coming to Sony mount in screw drive. Tamron just put out a Press release today saying they will come available June 12th. It would make zero sense for Tamron to make it in screw drive for Sony, and then the Sony version be SAM. It's using Tamron parts for the SAM drive. On the other hand, with the 55-200-2, That very situation all ready exist. I just can't imaging Tamron still selling screw drive versions when Sony has gone in motor for their versions. It's in Tamrons best intrest to stop making screw drive lenses. So it will be curious to see how that goes. You would think Tamron would make the new Tamron version with an in lens motor.

I'm more curious on what other Tamron Stuff we might see. A Sony version of the Tamrons new 60mm macro would be very nice. And match up well with the 30mm Macro Sony is bringing.

Still, they are on a rapid path to replace the cheap stuff with in-motors I think. Which ask the question, "how long till a 16-105 SAM, and 16-80 ZA SAM"
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I would guess they tried the 10-24mm standard Tamron and said no to it. Nikon designed their own version, which may or may not be made by Tamron. Sony may have done the same. The Tamron 10-24mm is not really a lens you want to have getting reviewed as part of a system, the performance is simply not there.

David
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

bfitzgerald wrote: Hmmm, well I thought they were trying to get more market share?
but not at the cost of losing money I would imagine, it's a balancing act between growing volume & profit.
Sony doubled their DSLR market share last year as it is which is a manageable rate of growth.
Why not sell a Sony 70-200mm f4 for £600 odd or near the Canon? Do Canon not make a profit on lenses? I suspect they do :shock:
Theese things are often more complicated than they initially appear.

e.g. many of Canon's designs e.g. 70-200 are old, Sony's would be new & initial development costs (which have to be recovered) would be higher plus Canon's will already have been recovered in many cases allowing for a lower, profitable selling price for Canon should they decide to do so - you don't want a price war.
Sony almost certainly don't have the production capacity atm to e.g. quadruple volume overnight so they need to build additional factories - extra cost.
Also some of Sony's lenses (e.g. 300/2.8 ) aren't designed for mass production so they would need to be redesigned/replaced & you can't replace your whole range overnight, it takes years. In the case of the existing 300/2.8 if you can't meet demand as it is (they can only produce ~200 per year atm) neantime why cut prices until it's replaced with a production optimised one?
That's why you want a long term sustainable rate of growth rather than a sudden surge. That way you get to plan, finance, build & maximise utilisation of new capacity to match demand.

Then you also have marketing - Sony won't want to be cheaper than Canon or Nikon even if they can make products cheaper [Sony are excellent at mass production (part of the reason for the A230/A330/A380 bodies was to improve production efficiencies/lower cost of production from what they had learned over the last few years)& reusing parts in many designs, but it's not as if Canon & Nikon aren't either.]
The most profitable (t least by some measures) car maker in the world is Porsche & it's not as if they are thought of as cheap.
Once you have cut prices it's very hard to get them back up again.

& that's without considering the wholesaler/retailer in the chain too who probably makes more from the sale than Sony any way.
Atm they probably make a higher margin on Sony than CaNikon but would probably argue that they need to because of lower demand so lower stock turnover etc.

As I said, not as simple as it initially looks.
Sony are only 2-3 years into something that I imagine that they planned from the outset would take considerably longer for them to achieve a platform to really compete on level terms with CaNikon (& not forgetting that atm Nikon are a very major customer of Sony for DSLR sensors which adds another complexity).