Sgma 50mm F2.8 Macro lens. Important question.

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Margie28
Acolyte

Sgma 50mm F2.8 Macro lens. Important question.

Unread post by Margie28 »

Hi everyone,

Here is my first question :lol:

I recently bought a 70-200mm f.4-5.6 lens, but I see that I need a faster lens a 2.8 lens.

The store where I bought my camera is receiving the Sigma 2.8 Macro lens by Monday. I want to be sure that it is going to give me the same result, I mean a sharp focus as if I buy the Sony lens.

My question is: Is the Sigma lens going to give me the same results as the Sony lens 50mm Macro lens?

It seems that here there arent so much interest in the 50 mm Macro lens that's why the store didn't have in stock. On Monday they are going to receive one, but I want to be sure.

Thanks so much
Margie

Sony Alpha 100, Sony lens 18-70mm, F3.5-5.6, Sigma lens 70-300DG MacroSigma 50 mm Macro
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

I've not used this lens but here are some user reviews. It seems to be a very good lens.

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/rev ... IDLens=154
Roger
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Although I am sure the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro is a good lens my preferences would be for something with a little longer focal length.

I was lucky enough to buy a new Minolta 100mm Macro D some time back now having already used a 50mm Macro on Minolta X700 (sometimes with extension tubes) and being appreciative of the extra lens to subject distance that the 100mm focal length provides.

One problem with short focal length Macro lenses is that by the time the subject is in focus at 1:1 then just the camera body and lens can be blocking out much light, let alone the photographer.

With the short depth of field at wider apertures one may be better shooting at a smaller aperture anyway. I find f/32 a pinch at times. This leads on to consideration of Macro Flash. Before buying it may be worth finding out what the Macro flash options are.

For example the Minolta Macro Flash 1200 Ring and 2400 Twin Flash come with adaptor rings to suite lenses 49mm and 55mm filter threads, the Ring and Twin Flash each having their own pair of rings.

I also find the Minolta AngleFinder Vn very useful when tripod mounted. I have a VG Manfrotto tripod with an excellent all axes head and often mount the camera on a Velbon Magslider which allows small lateral movements and linear adjustments for fine focus as manual focus is best used for many subjects. One associated problem here is in warm weather the neoprene grip pad of the Manfrotto head softens and allows the camera to droop off target when attempting portrait format shots. I have got a right-angle Manfrotto head mounting which can be useful.

Although by the time one has all this lot assembled; camera, macro lens, ring or twin flash, right angle finder, right-angle head mount, Magslider and the tripod carefully positioned and adjusted it is getting dark and time to pack up. :lol:

Portrait format seems benighted with both on camera bounce flash and such macro work.

Under these circumstances I find the automatic lens focus movement at switch on a blasted nuisance because having set up the camera waiting for a subject to land in picture I sometimes have to take a break so switch off the camera in the interim. On return, the lens hunts at switch on and I have to re-focus. :(

I have recently considered looking for a Minolta AF 200mm f/4 Macro G (or was a D available?) but this animal has a 72mm filter thread so the flash may be a problem.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I own a Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro. It's a nice macro lens, but have to admit a few points: I asked my friend to buy and bring for me from Dubai (UAE) the Sony version which he couldn't find at the time (neither the 50 nor the 100 macros) so he brought me the Sigma instead.
I repeat it's a fine lens, but if you can afford the Sony variants then go for the latter, and as Omega892 said I too would recommend the SAL100M28 (i.e. the Sony 100mm f/2.8 Macro definitely).
I've read in a report somewhere that it is seen as the best Japanese made lens ever (I mean the Minolta variant).
But if the price means a lot then you will not regret the Sigma too. I have placed some pics on my blog made with that lens, if you care to see.
Meanwhile I'm drinking a cup of beer while writing this, so Cheers.
Margie28
Acolyte

Thank you for your responces.

I would like to see some of your photos taken with this lens or with the Sony lens.

Would you like to share the blog link, please?

If you have more sites from photographers that has used this lens, please send me the link.

Have a nice day. :D
Last edited by Margie28 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margie

Sony Alpha 100, Sony lens 18-70mm, F3.5-5.6, Sigma lens 70-300DG MacroSigma 50 mm Macro
Dr. Harout

http://harmar.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse

Some are with the Sigma, some with SAL75300, few with Min28/2.8 and 70-210
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Margie28 wrote:Thank you for your responces.

I would like to see some of your photos taken with this lens or with the Sony lens.
I have just put up a picture of a Wasp Spider Argiope bruenichii, shot on film, in my Alphaclub gallery. There are more on my web site, see Profile, under Natural World.

Although TBH one cannot see the detail in the original under the file size limits.

In my Alphaclub gallery there is also a picture of the Minolta 100mm Macro D fitted to an Alpha 100. The Minolta Flash controller is also mounted with the Twinflash 2400 attached using a makeshift adaptor because of the old manual Rokkor 55mm mounted face to face with the Macro D.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Margie28
Acolyte

Thank you so much for posting your galleries and I was so impressed by the quality that i took my deicsion :P

Yesterday was the big day when the store owner called and told me that the 50 mm F2.8 Sigma he received it and that i could come and buy it.

I went in the afternoon and you can guess, I immediately tested it on the camera and the images came out with awesome vivid colors with lot of details!

Thank you so much for helping me with your advices. :D

Have a nice day! :D
Margie

Dr. Harout

Congratulations Margie, and enjoy it. Wish you lots and lots and lots of excellent photos. Briefly: "happy hunting". :wink: