the new 28-75 FF SAM lens

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

the new 28-75 FF SAM lens

Unread post by Javelin »

this lens is a constant F2.8 accorging to DPR. I wasn't expecting that was this common knowledge before?
bossel
Viceroy

Re: the new 28-75 FF SAM lens

Unread post by bossel »

Isn't this just the rebadged Tamron/KM 28-75/2.8???
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Maybe not. the Tamron isn't motorized unless i'm missing something. and the Sony is described as a SAM lens with that micro motor thats in the 18-55
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I mean rebadged and SAMmed 8)
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

it's interesting at least. I think maybe Sony is having Tamron make it but doesn't that constitute a new lens? I could use an F2.8 in this range myself for when the 28-135 is too slow.. I'm hoping that because there lumping it in with the A850 that it will work well at kit lens prices.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Javelin wrote:Maybe not. the Tamron isn't motorized unless i'm missing something. and the Sony is described as a SAM lens with that micro motor thats in the 18-55
the Nikon fit Tamron 28-75 now has a micro-motor - & Nikon users prefer the screwdriven version in low light ...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Javelin wrote:Maybe not. the Tamron isn't motorized unless i'm missing something.
My Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 in Canon mount that I bought in 2003 has a motor.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I now have the high resolution press shots of the new lens, and I'm 90% certain it is a Tamron 28-75mm. Careful examination of my KM 28-75 and the press views of the lens front elements from a couple of angles confirms that the optical design is the same, or so close it is a minor revision.

So, I stay happy to be using my KM.

I think I will pop the A380 kit while still new into my local shop and let them sell it for £50 under lowest current retail as ex-demo. Might also part with the A350, and place an early order for the A550. But I don't really want it, I should wait for a model with video. That would simplify life.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I now have the high resolution press shots of the new lens, and I'm 90% certain it is a Tamron 28-75mm. Careful examination of my KM 28-75 and the press views of the lens front elements from a couple of angles confirms that the optical design is the same, or so close it is a minor revision.
I just checked and the Tamron at Amazon is $499. In 2003 it was about $330 in the States and I paid 33,500 yen in Tokyo -- at the time the exchange rate was $1 = 110 yen so that made it $305. The price sure has gone up! Still, it is better than the $800 for the Sony and some people may prefer the screw AF mechanism rather than the non-SSM motor in the Sony.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

There must be more than one version then the one I saw on the tamron site only was for screw drive bodies.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/2875mm.asp
bakubo wrote:
Javelin wrote:Maybe not. the Tamron isn't motorized unless i'm missing something.
My Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 in Canon mount that I bought in 2003 has a motor.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

There was never question it was a tamron re-badge. A rebadge of the motorized Nikon version to be more specific. Some of the switches even look to be carry over. Besides, it's a near certainty the SAM drive for the new lenses came from Tamron.

Also, the 67mm filter is a dead give away. That's a huge shame that Sony didn't change this to 77, or at the very least 72, just so it's inline with the system more.

I have the KM version. And the 67mm filter is a PITA.

I don't see any of us with the KM version getting this. As I'll take screw drive anyday.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Javelin wrote:this lens is a constant F2.8 accorging to DPR. I wasn't expecting that was this common knowledge before?... it's interesting at least. I think maybe Sony is having Tamron make it but doesn't that constitute a new lens? I could use an F2.8 in this range myself for when the 28-135 is too slow.. I'm hoping that because there lumping it in with the A850 that it will work well at kit lens prices.
I thought it was common knowledge from when they showed us the concept earlier this year. Also, I kinda expect any new FF lens with just 3x zoom to be f/2.8 all the way through. It's the only way to sell such limited range these days. Longer ranges will be either variable-aperture or constant f/4. Also, I don't think $800 is "kit-lens price." It's an affordable alternative to the Zeiss 24-70, but not to the Tamron 28-75 on which the new lens is surely based. I'd wager the Tamron with screw-drive AF is faster to focus than this new lens, not to mention 55 grams lighter.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

A rebadged Tamron 28-75/2.8 with motor at $800 - wow! If they rebadge the 10-24 it will be probably $1300. And maybe the revive the 'old' Sony 18-70, with SAM, as high end long range zoom kit lens for $450. :shock: Don't want to know the European prices, they will be preposterous.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Bit of a joke really $800 for a re-badged tamron (Which is good, but hmm) So that's about £650 for it UK wise!
So why would you bother, sam..wow..erm probably slower than the screw drive. It's got buy the tamron all over it, cheaper by a long way.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Just specifically for that lens, I don't care. I have the KM28-75/2.8 and I am happy with it. A bit long, but it's lightweight, fast focus and gets the job done when I need F2.8. :D Don't need SAM. They should make it a 24-70 SSM then it might be worth $800.

Here, the 70-300 SSM is now at 1000E/ $1400 and the 70-400 at $2300 :? Maybe I should start painting, cycling, or grow vegetables rather than photography 8) because I don't think the grass in greener in C or N land. I might buy another lens when there is a special deal or a serious cash-back (like when I got my A700) but not now.