My second lens - what to buy?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
markscottuk

My second lens - what to buy?

Unread post by markscottuk »

Hi

I have had my A200 for 6 months now and I am enjoying it, bit of a bind that there is no live preview but a small price to pay for a small price :)

I am now looking to buy a second lens and I am torn between the Sony branded 55-200 and 75-300 lenses. They are both reasonably priced at under £200 and my gut instinct is to get the 75-300 due to the bigger zoom. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Photographic material would be architecture (Bath has some lovely buildings if anyone is ever down that way!) and I would like to get some landscape photographs too, with that in mind are the lenses any good as wide angle lenses?

Thanks for any advice!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: My second lens - what to buy?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

markscottuk wrote:I am now looking to buy a second lens and I am torn between the Sony branded 55-200 and 75-300 lenses. They are both reasonably priced at under £200 and my gut instinct is to get the 75-300 due to the bigger zoom. Is there anything else I need to consider?
the 55-200 is a better lens than the old Minolta/Sony 75-300, and smaller and lighter and sharper all the way.
markscottuk wrote: Photographic material would be architecture (Bath has some lovely buildings if anyone is ever down that way!) and I would like to get some landscape photographs too, with that in mind are the lenses any good as wide angle lenses?

Thanks for any advice!
mmmm
you better buy a wide angle zoom for architecture photography, don't you think? assuming you have the kit lens (17-70) the 11-18 will be more helpful, but the price is not 200 Pounds...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Problem with the 55-200mm is it "was" a £65 lens, it's now selling for up to £130 and more in some places, and that's the Tamron one, expect to pay more for the Sony badged version.

It's decent, but then so is the 75-300mm in the 75-200mm range, it gets a bit hmmm 250mm onwards, but then so does just about everything in this price range.

Also consider the Tamron 70-300mm which does a decent macro too.

In fact I would go as far as to say, unless you really wanted a smaller lighter lens, you are far better off going for the 70-300mm anyway.
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

markscottuk wrote:Hi

I have had my A200 for 6 months now and I am enjoying it, bit of a bind that there is no live preview but a small price to pay for a small price :)

I am now looking to buy a second lens and I am torn between the Sony branded 55-200 and 75-300 lenses. They are both reasonably priced at under £200 and my gut instinct is to get the 75-300 due to the bigger zoom. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Photographic material would be architecture (Bath has some lovely buildings if anyone is ever down that way!) and I would like to get some landscape photographs too, with that in mind are the lenses any good as wide angle lenses?

Thanks for any advice!
What do you have already? An 18-70mm?

What is causing you most issues at the moment?
  • You don't have a long enough lens to zoom in on detail (note that you can crop images)
  • You can't get far enough away from a buliding or scene to get it all in
This should help you decide what to do.

Harvey
Mr_Canuck
Acolyte

Unread post by Mr_Canuck »

harvey wrote:
What do you have already? An 18-70mm?
What is causing you most issues at the moment?
  • You don't have a long enough lens to zoom in on detail (note that you can crop images)
  • You can't get far enough away from a buliding or scene to get it all in
This should help you decide what to do.
Harvey
Agreed. Tell us what you have now, and why you think you need another lens? What do you want to shoot?
a850 | 28-135 | 70-300G | 20/2.8 | 35/2 | 50/2.8M | 100/02 | 200f2.8 | HVL-20FA | 3600HS | Border Collie X