Sigma 10-20 with PL-CIR Filter

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Glyn R
Initiate

Sigma 10-20 with PL-CIR Filter

Unread post by Glyn R »

I am looking to buy a filter to use with this lens. It will take a 77mm UV with no signs of vignetting at 10mm. Anybody used a Polarizer with it at 10m? If so any recommendations. I have Cokin P kit but the Polarizer intrudes. The filter holder is OK if you cut the outer 2 guides off, so I can use ND Grads.
The older I get the better I used to be.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sigma 10-20 with PL-CIR Filter

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, I have - not at 10mm on the Sigma but at 11mm on the Tamron, 77mm Minolta type II ultra slim. There are very rare occasions you can use it as the lens covers significantly more than the 40 degree zone over which polarised effects graduate from minimal and maximum. At 10mm, you risk skies with a dark spot or patch. I have only ever used a polarizer when colours or reflections demand it.

This is taken by Shirley using the A200 and 18-250mm Tamron at 26mm, no polarizer.

This is taken by me with the A350, 11-18mm Tamron at 18mm, with a polarizer. There really is not much difference in the sky, the pol was used to maximize the rock colours, and the shot would have been sharper at f11 instead of the f8 which using the polarizer demanded for a reliable SSS hand held image.

If anything, Shirley's unpolarized result on the A200 looks more saturated than the A350 with pol (and this was rotated for best effect, not accidentally opposed!).

David
Glyn R
Initiate

Re: Sigma 10-20 with PL-CIR Filter

Unread post by Glyn R »

Sounds like it is not worth the effort or expense. I think I'll stick with ND grads when necessary. :D
The older I get the better I used to be.