minolta 300MM 2,8 HS versus SONY 300MM 2,8 SSM

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
kingfisher
Oligarch

minolta 300MM 2,8 HS versus SONY 300MM 2,8 SSM

Unread post by kingfisher »

hello everyone

i fall in love at the SONY 300MM 2.8 SSM

but the problem is that it cost a lot of money

iàm thinking to buy the MINOLTA version the 300MM 2,8 HS

can anyone tell me if there is a different , and how big in optical and in speed

regards
gustav
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: minolta 300MM 2,8 HS versus SONY 300MM 2,8 SSM

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You may find the HS 300mm faster to focus than the SSM, but not as quiet, and not as smooth in action. Optically, as long as the lens has been kept well and does not have atmospheric filming of the glass (pollution deposit) or scratching from incorrect cleaning, it will be as good as the latest design - in common with most lenses of this type, from the 1980s onwards the best have all been superb.

David
kingfisher
Oligarch

thank you david

that was my question , how he is optically , and how this lens performed in low light

some people like this version more tan the sony-version , because the lenshood , stay on the lens

regards
gustav
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

David Kilpatrick wrote:You may find the HS 300mm faster to focus than the SSM, but not as quiet, and not as smooth in action. Optically, as long as the lens has been kept well and does not have atmospheric filming of the glass (pollution deposit) or scratching from incorrect cleaning, it will be as good as the latest design - in common with most lenses of this type, from the 1980s onwards the best have all been superb.

David
I've the Tamron 300mm f2.8. First I had the SP60B, and then ran into the final version rare SP360B. Originally part of their adaptal II series where it's not hard to find, the last one did come in AF and A mount. It's excellent, the AF is pretty quiet and fast. Good image quality at well less than the Sony or Minolta price.

I also have the SP65B, 400mm f4. Unfortunately Tamron never brought out an AF A mount in this. Also very good in the adaptal II form.

Walt
Steve4D
Acolyte

Unread post by Steve4D »

Gustav,

I had similar thoughts and questions to yours, and ended up buying the Minolta 300/2.8 HS APO, rather than the Sony HSM version.

The price differential was a major consideration for me as the Sony RSP is $13,499AU here in Australia, and I (only!) paid ~$3,000AU for the Minolta lens in excellent condition (including ~$300AU for AU import duty/fees). Not sure of your local circumstances?

Naturally, I would have preferred the new Sony HSM lens, however and in my opinion - the premium was not justifiable. As David says; As long as you ensure that the Minolta is in very good condition - there is not much between them. The only other risk that concerned me was if the older Minolta lens was to 'break' - it may not be fixable, and if it were - then it may be costly. The consensus is that these particular Minolta lenses were built to very high standards (built like a tank!) and if you are able to get a good copy and treat it well, then it 'should' provide many years of trouble free service.

Based upon my usage of the Minolta 300/2.8 HS APO, it performs very well in regard to IQ and AF speed on the a700 and a900. I have learnt that it performs best with just the 42mm clear drop-in filter any additional filters tend to hinder IQ & AF speed and accuracy. Similar story with the Minolta 400/4.5 HS APO - keep it simple. From memory, both of these lenses required little (if any) micro-focus-adjust on my a900.

You may find this review interesting/useful; http://www.marcuskarlsen.com/PhotoBag/M ... 28_SSM.htm
I think that Marcus's conclusion is very relevant when comparing all three of the HS/SSM/HSM lenses?

I am interested in hearing opinions regarding; What effect the pending Sony 500mm RSP will have on the price of the Minolta 600/4 HS APO - good copies are currently selling for ~$6500AU.

Regards Steve
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Have a look here:

http://www.artaphot.ch/lens-comparisons ... x-apo-conv

Bottom line: The Minolta AF Apo 300 mm 1:2.8 G is fairly good but the Sony SAL 300 mm 1:2.8 G SSM is even better.

-- Olaf
kingfisher
Oligarch

thanks everyone

for all the information

regards
gustav