Sigma 70 mm F2.8EX DG Macro Hood and Filter Query

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Clarke
Acolyte

Sigma 70 mm F2.8EX DG Macro Hood and Filter Query

Unread post by Clarke »

Hello. Have only yesterday obtained this lens. Although the instructions say this has a bayonet attachment to the lens it actually seems to screw on. Am I right?
I screwed on a 62 mm UV filter and then seemed to be able to screw on the lens hood . But I am not sure one is supposed to do this. That is, I am worried the filter might be damaged by the hood. I seek reassurance that I am employing the hood as the designers intended.
Thank you for considering my query.
Clarke.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sigma 70 mm F2.8EX DG Macro Hood and Filter Query

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, you can use a filter and then the hood. But be careful, it is a metal hood, and some filters have softer metal rims, or rims with a type of metal which can bind (jam). So treat it with care when fitting.

David
Clarke
Acolyte

Unread post by Clarke »

Thanks David.

Clarke
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Clarke,

I recently bought this lens but decided it wasn't really right for me. I'll be sending it back today, but I am very curious to see how you liked it. Also, on the subject of this thread, is there a filter thread inside the front edge of the lens hood? It appears this way to me, but I don't have any filters large enough to try it.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Clarke
Acolyte

Unread post by Clarke »

Hi Kevin,
Sorry for reply delay. Wanted to wait 'til I had used it. I am really a novice and have not had a macro lens before. Have not used it on a tripod yet. I like it but I might well like any macro lens, probably. In choosing this lens I was influenced by what JasperD had to say and show (via his images) on this forum and an endorsement of this lens ( instead of the Sony 100mm Macro) by a person writing in a forum on the GetDPI web site).I was influenced also by the fact that it has a more modern design , a" made for digital" design , in case that mattered.( Although I probably wouldn't notice.). I am using a full- frame camera , and this is my only lens ,so I could comment in future how useful /applicable to general purpose I am finding the 70 mm focal length is and whether I have enough working distance for the close-up shots I like to take, if you would be interested.

Re the filter thread near the end of the hood most distant from a mounted camera body: I have read in a review of this lens on the web site ephotozine and, I think, elsewhere ( but not in the supplied instruction leaflet or on Sigma's web-site ) that this is a 77mm thread. I note that Sigma makes some lenses with just this size filter thread . Their 50 mm F1.4 and new 85 mm F1.4 are examples.

Again, I am sorry I took so long to reply.
Clarke.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The hood front thread is 77mm. The 50mm f/1.4 has a 55mm thread not 77mm, and the original Minolta 85mm f/1.4 is 72mm. The CZ 85mm is 77mm to match the 24-70mm, 16-35mm, 135mm, and the 70-200mm G. The old 17-35mm KM is also 77mm, as is the 11-18mm. The odd one out in Sony/KM is the Tamron-based 28-75mm at 67mm, most other lenses are 62mm like the basic thread of the 70mm Sigma.

The front hood thread of the Sigma may be used to support ring or twin flashs at an alternative distance. It think that is its main use.

David