Minolta 300m F or Sony 70-300m ssm g

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
henniebez
Initiate

Minolta 300m F or Sony 70-300m ssm g

Unread post by henniebez »

Hi photoclubalpha!

O I have enjoyed shooting with my alpha since I have been on this forum. I am faced with a problem: Minolta 300mm F4 or the new Sony 70-300mm ssm g lens. I have posted this question on DP review, but to be honset I am not sure. They cost me about the same?

Please any comments will do!
Philip
Oligarch

Re: Minolta 300m F or Sony 70-300m ssm g

Unread post by Philip »

I have both these lenses, and to be fair there isn't much in it in image quality (both wide open) - although as you'd expect the prime has just got the edge. The prime also is that little bit faster compared to the zoom at the important 300mm end. I hardly ever carry the prime around with me, unless I am specifically going out for wildlife shoots, and then it is paired up with the 1.4x convertor (can't do this with the zoom without loosing AF), but I will almost always have the zoom with me. The advantage of the zoom is in the ability to frame perfectly and it's lighter weight. Ultimetly it is down to what you are wanting to photograph, and how strong you are!

Philip
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

If I had to solve the dilemma for myself, then I'll probably (make it "surely") stand for 70~300 SSM. One of the main reasons is the more likeliness of using a zoom lens than a prime in that specific range. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Unread post by SLUFDRIVER »

I just received my 70>300G from Sony a few days ago, and I find it to be everything David suggested and more. Its first outing was to a water polo tourney last evening and I was ever so happy with the results. Even once the sun faded a bit and the lights came on. For me it was an upgrade from the 75>300 I'd been using before. For the close work I'll still use the 16>80CZ (although I'm going to play with the 24>70CZ this weekend). With these two lenses in most situations I feel I'm set to go. :D
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

My tuppenceworth:

I bought my 300 f4 a few months ago and took it with me on a Baltic cruise last month for its first real workout.

I can't make a comparison, only having this lens of the two, but the Minolta is - o u t s t a n d i n g. Used it with my a700 on a monopod and handheld in good light, and zooming in to 100% on the PC the shots are amazing, sharp, clear and great colour.

I think finding a good'un will be the challenge.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter