Carl Zeiss showcase Sony CZ lenses at photokina

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Re: Carl Zeiss showcase Sony CZ lenses at photokina

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

David Kilpatrick wrote:... I can not afford to buy one and don't actually need a lens of that size and weight for everyday work.
Quite. It sounds a really great lens, but who is it intended for? I think for most photographers to carry one of these monsters around it will be necessary to decide what to leave behind to make room for it (and keep the camera bag down to a manageable weight!).

If you really need it for wide-angle low light photography, you could try a Minolta 28mm f2.0. Excellent lens, slight colour-fringing can be corrected in ACR, a fraction of the size and weight, and usually you can find one for about £350-500.

And why a 72mm filter thread, when most recent Sony lenses which need a big filter size use 77mm?
I believe between them, Minolta and Sony have now used the following filter sizes:
49mm, 55mm, 62mm, 67mm (the 28-75mm SAM), 72mm, 77mm. Perhaps then next kit lens will have a 52mm thread, just to complete the set.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I hope Sony will some day bring the design of the old Minolta 2.0 series up to life (28,35,100). On my side, I cannot live without those lenses in my Low light concert shot (mostly the 28 and 100). And for stock Picture, the 35mm give always all the detail I need from center to corner.

In the world of small and very good lens, the old sigma 24mm II Macro 2.8 is very good too. Just to crappy plastic hood I don't like on it where there is no storage position, and impose you to do not use any filter or very thin one (but can be replace by rubber one ...)..

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Background
Acolyte

Unread post by Background »

Wes Gibbon wrote: I believe between them, Minolta and Sony have now used the following filter sizes:
49mm, 55mm, 62mm, 67mm (the 28-75mm SAM), 72mm, 77mm. Perhaps then next kit lens will have a 52mm thread, just to complete the set.
My Minolta MC Rokkor PF 55mm f1.7 (from 1973) has a 52mm thread - or aren't you going back that far?
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

I wasn't going back that far. I was really thinking about MAF (Sony Alpha) mount lenses. Actually, I do use lenses with most of the listed filter threads!
49mm:
50mm f1.7 I have one, but don't use it.
100-200mm 'little beercan' - I have used this but was disappointed by sharpness on A900
55mm:
Minolta 50mm f1.4 RS
f2.0 & 35mm f2.0 (both excellent)
and others
62mm:
35-200 mm used as a carry-around lens when the Sony 70-400G is too heavy
67mm:
Sony 28-75mm SAM. Came with my A850 backup which I may use in the future
72mm:
Minolta 20mm
CZ 85mm f1.4 but only in the studio (occasionally)
77mm:
Sony 70-400G

I've just realised I missed 58mm, which Sony thankfully appear to have avoided.

I realise that it may not have been possible to make the CZ24-70 or 70-400G with a smaller filter size, but my gripe is that it would then make more sense to drop the 72mm filter thread. It is quite possible that someone might include the new 24mm f2.0 and the 70-400G in their kit, and therefore carry both 72mm and 77mm filters. Good quality filters of this size are not cheap, weigh a bit and occupy space.