Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM user report

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM user report

Unread post by classiccameras »

Birma, your probably right about the CZ 16-80, it does exhibit excellent colour rendition and IQ generally is top notch with a couple of areas in the zoom range a tad below par, but then no zoom is perfect. Its construction and quality of parts for the price could be better. The Tamron is a steal by comparision on a price/performance basis.
I must admit, I would like a CZ but its too expensive for me.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

bakubo wrote:There is also the new Sigma 24-105mm f4 DG OS HSM that might be interesting for people with FF. Similar to the Canon 24-105mm f4 IS. I don't know the price, but probably not cheap.

Yes I spotted that, but it's quite a beast (big filters and weight is actually more than the Canon L equivalent)
Not sure about the MTF charts either.

It would be pretty pointless the lens being close to the Canon's price most people will just buy the L glass.

On the 16-80mm CZ yes range is ideal and would suit many. But the price is a tad OTT for many.
I like the f2.8 though it means you don't have to run and hide if the light levels get low. But there are times you need even more speed so those faster primes might not be used as much, but they will still have a place in really bad light.

Can't have everything I guess a 16-80mm f2.8 would be a bit of a challenge to make and fairly heavy
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

The Sigma 17-70 F/2.8 is not a great deal different from the CZ 16-80, OK its not a constant F/2.8 but Very useful never the less and a good performer for the price.
bfitzgerald

The new Sigma's are very nice build wise I was never a fan of the old matte type finish.
I've not tried the latest Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4 C, I have the previous version and the first one (f4.5 at the top end on that one)

Looking at the reviews maybe the second version 17-70mm is a better bet, the new C one seems to be weaker at the wide end.
I think you have to decide what you want if you have faster primes then a 17-70mm or 16-80mm might be fine as a standard lens.

Most Canikon users I know go for the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 HSS OS, because it's got OS and it's considered to be sharper than the Tamron 17-50mm VC. For A Mount the non VC Tamron is probably the best offering on an optical level and we get free in body AS and it's corner/edge performance is better than the Sigma. Sony and Pentax users seem to go Tamron mostly for that reason.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:There is also the new Sigma 24-105mm f4 DG OS HSM that might be interesting for people with FF. Similar to the Canon 24-105mm f4 IS. I don't know the price, but probably not cheap.
I saw today that the U.S. price is $899. Of course, usually Sigma gets discounted quite a bit so maybe after a short time it will be more like $699.
bfitzgerald

Not to flog a dead horse, but the USA v UK price seems well off from Sigma. $899 is £850.
Yet the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 (about the same weight as the new sigma and same filter size) sells for $1200 and it's just over £800 here.

I'd pass on the Sigma at that price and head straight for the Tamron. Maybe the street price will drop, even so it's a non starter for Canon users
At about £600 it might make sense, even there it's only slightly undercutting the Canon version.