Teleconverter.

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
ACIPhotos
Heirophant

Teleconverter.

Unread post by ACIPhotos »

Hi All. I'm thinking about getting a teleconverter to do wildlife and bird shots. I've got an A850 camera and my long lens is a Sigma 150-500mm. Any ideas as to which is the best to buy? Thanks.
Anna
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Teleconverter.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No teleconverter will give you AF with that lens. Your best choice is probably Sigma's own 2X, but check whether it will actually fit, as it is rare to use a converter on a 150-500mm. There is little point in getting a 1.4X as the overlap would be too much. With a 2X you at least get 300-1000mm, and if you have an Alpha 560/580 in future, you can use live view focus for extreme accuracy. You may find focusing not too easy even on the A850, but not impossible.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Is it the Sigma APO 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM? In addition to David's idea here are two more:

1. Get an A55 or A580. With the 1.5x crop factor you would get the full 16mp of Sony's new sensor. You would have to calculate how many pixels you would get if you did the equivalent crop of the A850's 24mp to see how that compares though and if it would be sufficient. You can still AF though.

2. Get an A55 or A580 and a 1.4x TC. Maybe someone else can let you know if together the A55/A580 can still AF with the combo since it would be f7.1-9. Maybe it depends on what gets reported by the TC to the body.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Teleconverter is mostly good on prime lens than Zoom lens.

If it is for video HD usage, I will say ok for the teleconverter, but on high definition picture, you will lost detail that it is probably better to upscale on software (better exposition to fix the subject too).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
ACIPhotos
Heirophant

Unread post by ACIPhotos »

Great advice from all thanks. I will have a re-think of what I want to acheive and how. Saved me some money for sure!
Anna