Sony Lens Discussion Index on Flickr

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Sony Lens Discussion Index on Flickr

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Hello, I just wanted to give all you Flickr users a head-up on a project that I've been working on at the Sony Camera Club. It is an (almost*) exhaustive index of discussions centered on each of Sony's Alpha mount lenses, both in production and out. Members are invited to discuss their experience with each lens and to share pictures taken with them. So, if you feel like contributing to a growing resource, or hearing from those who have, drop by and check it out:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sonycamera ... 104447022/

*I used Sony's product images for each lens discussion topic, but Sony has all but divorced themselves from the SAL-24105 which they carried over from Minolta, and have no page for it. So, I have not decided how to address this lens yet.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony Lens Discussion Index on Flickr

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Kevin, I'm pretty sure we must have had product shots from 2006 showing the 24-105mm. If so they will be on photoclubalpha.com somewhere. Feel free to lift any of these.

David
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

Kevin:

That cartoon expresses my experiences with camera clubs. it's all about gear. If you don't shoot with Canon or Nikon, some people will make you feel like a commoner at a Royals' banquet. I could use a Donald Trump quote to express my opinion, but I will use better judgement. ;) I don't have any negative opinions on the 24-105 lens. My copy has served me well. I can't currently afford a Zeiss replacement.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

I've since addressed the SAL-24105 discrepancy with a stop-gap measure (the picture supplied is of that lens's hood, still acknowledged by Sony). I included the "What the Duck" comic here just for grins, in case anybody was rolling their eyes at my shameless plug.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I've listened to everyone dumping on this lens http://www.sony.com.au/product/sal24105 and I don't see it that way myself, it's not a marvellous lens at the wide end on FF for sure, and it flares like nobodys business if the smallest amount of direct light gets on the front element. But I have a lot of time for it on APS-C, for me it's a great little light lens that can do sharp closeups and isn't that bad at general photography either, it doesn't have a wide enough wide end for APS-C that's it's only downfall really. But if you look at the quality of photos you get from those superzooms like the 18-200, 18-250 etc. at the wide end, they aren't all that wonderful either.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I like my Minolta 24-105 as a handy walkaround, and as Greg says it is useful for the odd close-up. Bang for buck, I'm satisfied with mine.
Garden Flower.jpg
(147.77 KiB) Downloaded 2380 times
A700.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Too bad this is in a group that restricts discussion to only Sony gear. For instance there is the new Tamron 18-270, a natural to compare to the Sony 18-250 and other 18-250's.

Walt
KevinBarrett

Walt, the group does not restrict discussion to Sony lenses, just Sony cameras, and experiential comparisons are not only welcome but encouraged.

If you're referring to the lens discussion index, I limited my cross-referenced index to just Sony lenses because the complexity of making an exhaustive A-mount lens resource across multiple brands and evolutions of the mount is somewhat beyond the scope of the group and and my own time and energy....plus there's already a Dyxum.com
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

KevinBarrett wrote:Walt, the group does not restrict discussion to Sony lenses, just Sony cameras, and experiential comparisons are not only welcome but encouraged.
Such comparisons simply don't occur in the group. Probably because of the instructions right at the head of the discussion area limiting it to Sony cameras. Maybe the moderators, who's group it really is should make it clear on lenses and other camera equipment.....

Walt