Circular Polarizer Filters? Sony, Hoya or Heliopan

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

Circular Polarizer Filters? Sony, Hoya or Heliopan

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

I would like to get a CPF for use with my CZ 24-70 2.8 lens to use with my A700 for some outdoor shoots. Which filter will provide the best performance and durability for the best price?

Sincerely,
Ivan
http://www.ivanwatkins.com
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Circular Polarizer Filters? Sony, Hoya or Heliopan

Unread post by Javelin »

I used tiffen (not very good) and Hoya a lot better. but the Sony ones are reportedly really good. If they are mady by the same place that made the Minolta ones they should be really good. Heliopan I haven't any experience with but I understand them to be top knotch with brass rings and zeiss glass so they should be worth every penny. I have used B+W before too and really liked them as well. I want a polorizer too but i'm going to buy linear instead. I just haven't decided which lens/lenses to buy them for. Might just go for one for the beercan and the 17-35mm I have but that takes a 77mm filter and will be pretty pricey
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

Why Linear?

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

Why have you decided to purchase Linear over Circular?
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I had a Hoya circular before and I liked it but then I tried the linear and it was so much better. same Hoya brand. it had a much more dramatic effect on blues and I think they deal with the shadows on windows a lot better Found myself in a lot of aquariums that summer. I also recently found out that they are constructed a little better because the film copating is in between 2 glass panes instead of on the outside but this also makes them slightly thicker but more durable (vignetting won't be my problem with any of my lenses) I am also prepared for the battle i'm going to have at the camera shop. when I bought my last one (67mm) I had to leave theshop with the guy telling me (almost yelling) it would ruin my camera. this was at a Henry's in Canada. Guy still works there too spreading lies no doubt

I thought the digital needing circular was a myth but it turns out it's a limitation in the either Canon or Nikon AF system that Minolta and Sony don't have. and bacame popular lore that it won't work on any digital. My F717 went years and years without any issues at all around focusing or colour reproduction.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Javelin wrote:I had a Hoya circular before and I liked it but then I tried the linear and it was so much better. same Hoya brand. it had a much more dramatic effect on blues and I think they deal with the shadows on windows a lot better Found myself in a lot of aquariums that summer. I also recently found out that they are constructed a little better because the film copating is in between 2 glass panes instead of on the outside but this also makes them slightly thicker but more durable (vignetting won't be my problem with any of my lenses) I am also prepared for the battle i'm going to have at the camera shop. when I bought my last one (67mm) I had to leave theshop with the guy telling me (almost yelling) it would ruin my camera. this was at a Henry's in Canada. Guy still works there too spreading lies no doubt

I thought the digital needing circular was a myth but it turns out it's a limitation in the either Canon or Nikon AF system that Minolta and Sony don't have. and bacame popular lore that it won't work on any digital. My F717 went years and years without any issues at all around focusing or colour reproduction.
Yep that is my experience also, that camera shop people (with Nikon and Canon's on prominant display) saying that you must use a circular polarizer or your AF won't work properly. After trying them out on a couple of lenses and realized they just don't work properly I went back too the linear ones and have yet to have any noticable problem with AF, of course it might "slightly" affect AF wide angle focussing, I don't know for sure, but then there is always MF to fall back on, you could take a scene with both AF and MF (I you're like me and use a tripod on scenes, you have the opportunity to tinker around as much as you like) and see which is better later, on the monitor.
I wondered about the 17-35 myself, I got a 77mm polarizer for mine, and there is no vignetting visible on a APS-C frame at 17mm but I sort of wonder if I need an even bigger one (with a stepup ring) for FF, too avoid vignetting, I haven't gotten around too trying it out on a film body yet (and using a polarizer as well) so I don't know.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

sounds like something I could test. I have a minolta 7000 that came with a lens I bought and have been looking for an excuse to try it out. if I get a polorizer for this lens I will try it
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Now I am confused and asking your forgiveness for emphasizing the question: "can we use LP instead of CP without any restriction or compromise?" :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Dr. Harout wrote:Now I am confused and asking your forgiveness for emphasizing the question: "can we use LP instead of CP without any restriction or compromise?" :roll:
Hi Dr. I haven't noticed any focussing problems so far myself, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one of course, there still could be some small error that I can't see, such as, I'm not completely sure the straight micro lines on the linear filter don't increase the chances of jaggies on edges because of some interference with the AA filter for example, but the focus itself seems just as responsive as usual and doesn't seem to hunt or anything.
Greg