Zeiss 85mm f:1.4 merits

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Zeiss 85mm f:1.4 merits

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

I know that the CZ 85mm lens has had great reviews, but I would appreciate comments about it from people who have actually used this lens in specific circumstances similar to my intended usage.

My son is getting married next month in an outdoor ceremony, followed by an outdoor reception/dinner. Things will start about an hour before sunset, so much of the event will be in relatively low light. I am not wild about portrait shots taken with flash outdoors in low light, so I'm thinking of renting a CZ 85mm f:1.4 for the weekend. My intent is casual shots with available light, as we have a professional photographer hired for the event, and all I plan to shoot is images of friends and family socializing - plus some candids of the bride & groom. (The pro is working on a flat fee basis, so I don't have to worry about impacting his livelihood.)

I have some fast lenses in shorter lengths (35mm & 50mm) but nothing faster than f:2.8 in this range. My question to those who may have practical experience with this lens is whether or not you think it might have enough advantage over a f:2.8 zoom to justify about $100 rental for what will really be just family snapshots - albeit of a special occasion.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

With best wishes,
- et -
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Zeiss 85mm f:1.4 merits

Unread post by pakodominguez »

UrsaMajor wrote:
My son is getting married next month in an outdoor ceremony, followed by an outdoor reception/dinner.
Mazeltov!
UrsaMajor wrote:
I have some fast lenses in shorter lengths (35mm & 50mm) but nothing faster than f:2.8 in this range. My question to those who may have practical experience with this lens is whether or not you think it might have enough advantage over a f:2.8 zoom to justify about $100 rental for what will really be just family snapshots - albeit of a special occasion.
Well, the question is if DOF at 1.4/1.8 works for you -it doesn't works for me. And keep in mind that this lens, at f1.4, is not the sharpest lens... Otherwise, it is a nice lens and I'm sure you will enjoy the results: you are not force to use it only in low light situations ;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Zeiss 85mm f:1.4 merits

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Tom, if you absolutely need to shoot with f/1.4 then why rent a Zeiss for $100/day if you can pay ~$250 and acquire a brand new Rokinon 85/1.4 albeit manual and keep it for yourself for other happy events too including photo outings?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr