WOW? Price Jump Sticker shock!!

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
motor
Heirophant

WOW? Price Jump Sticker shock!!

Unread post by motor »

I have not checked sonystyle.com (USA) since the beginning of the summer. When did all the big lenses jump $200? I bought my 70-400 G about 20 month ago for $1400 and now it is $1999!hiccup!! I bought the 24-70ZA on sale last christmas for $1249 was $1599 and now it is $1800. The 70-200G has been $1799 for about 5 years .............now $1999. When did sony jump the $200 :shock:

WOW that was a bit of a sticker shock. I guess I am lucky. I was looking at the 16-80ZA and it only went up $50.

Motor
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Re: WOW? Price Jump Sticker shock!!

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

This all has to do with the Dollars value against the Yen. Don't blame Sony, blame the US Fed. The Fed has dumped tons of $$$ on the world market, causing the value of the dollar to decline.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

And it's only going to get worse! Unless the US also adopts some austerity measures, and stops spending 3x the money they have, we'll all be toting our dollars in wheelbarrows like the Wiemar German citizens.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I believe it was the same week my wife got employed.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Lenses are on the up in the EU as well from just about all makers including Sigma and Tamron. Though Sigma seem to have risen more sharply than their rival.
Same on all mounts most lenses are up in price a few exceptions here and there but same story Canikon land too. Pentax have dropped a bit on some but that's because they had some utterly daft prices thanks to Hoya's cash grab over the last few years (fastest rising lens prices of any maker with ease)

There is some hope though with UK retailers unable to offer decent prices I grabbed a nice deal from One stop digital in Hong Kong took 4 days Fed Ex and they beat any UK price on a Tamron 90mm by a substantial margin (about £90-£100 odd) But deals vary that was one of the better ones. I know where I'm shopping now and it's not the UK they just can't compete 8)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

In the USA, Sony used to discount prices on lenses and/or "bundles" by the holidays season -and those discounts used ro be on the 150 to 200 $. I don't think Sony effectively reduced prices unless the products went discontinued.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

This is not for sure but I was told last night that don't be surprised to see the A77 jump $100 in the next day or so :x ( First week of November) I just checked the Canada site and it is now $1499 for the body instead of $1399. I can't check USA sonystyle for it has been "notify me" with no price for 3 weeks now. I know they did this with the 580. The prerelease price was about $50 cheaper and it never came down till just about a month ago and is now dropping really quick. Adorama and BH still have it @ $1399 but no stock. It should be coming in the next 2-3 weeks I guess. I don't know if this was planned or with the huge flood in the warehouse holding everything up but expect the A77 to raise like the lenses did.

Moater
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

The A77 is on stock today ar Adorama -I don't know if both, body only and Kit with the new SSM lens.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pako
------------
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Yesterday the Dollar hit a record low against the Yen. I guess they're not printing money in Japan as fast as the Fed is here.

Expect more US price increases.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Maybe I should invest in some US $$$... :wink:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=USDSEK
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

For UK buyers this is a good source to keep an eye on:
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat28.html

That's the one for Sony lenses but other makers are also covered as well as bodies and compacts etc etc.
They do miss the odd deal now and then though it's a fairly good indicator for prices in the UK market. And gives you a decent idea of prices over a longer period of time.

As you can see the trend is increased prices on lenses across most of the makers though some more than others.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

bfitzgerald wrote:For UK buyers this is a good source to keep an eye on:
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat28.html
Totally agree with Barry - very useful price comparison site. The only downside is that the long history of prices reminds me of that August Sunday afternoon when I passed up the CZ 16-80 for £400 at Jessops Online -aaaargh!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Hong Kong prices still look about the same...
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

Sony Lenses are expected to raise again after the first of the year in the US. Currently Sony USA is running a instant rebate program. The rebate was or currently is the existing pre christmas season price counting the rebate. For example the ZA 16-80mm was listed before price raise @ $799 but after the first of the year will be $50 more. They have already raised the prices but with the rebates are keeping them the same. Adorama and B&H have already raised pricing last week. For example the ZA 16-80 is now $849 with a $50 instant rebate still keeping it $799 which was current pricing till sometime after Christmas.

Thats a total of $100 jump in one year on that lens alone. I hate to see what will happen with the big lenses!