Pricing of Sony 300/2.8 and others

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Pricing of Sony 300/2.8 and others

Unread post by Mark K »

Recently I am looking into bird shooting category with Sony's introduction of A77, a more capable body. Well, apart from previously discontinued Minolta 400/4.5G, 600/4G, the only option available to me is Sony 300/2.8G. The problem is, it is very expensive and much more than the competitor's prices for the same product like Nikon 300/2.8 VR, Canon 300/2.8 IS. It is even more expensive than local Canon 400/2.8 L first generation. I cannot help stop and think, what the hell does Sony marketing doing? All other primes are considerably more reasonably priced. For the same price, I can be comfortably set with a Nikon D7000 or a Canon 7D.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Pricing of Sony 300/2.8 and others

Unread post by pakodominguez »

The 70-400 SSM is not a solution for you? I know it is not an f:2.8, but I understand it is a great performer, and the low light capability of the A77 compensate a little...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Mark K wrote:, the only option available to me is Sony 300/2.8G. The problem is, it is very expensive and much more than the competitor's prices for the same product like Nikon 300/2.8 VR, Canon 300/2.8 IS. It is even more expensive than local Canon 400/2.8 L first generation. I cannot help stop and think, what the hell does Sony marketing doing? All other primes are considerably more reasonably priced..
This is a lens which Sony can only make 100-200 a year so it costs them more to build (plus they may be paying KM a royalty on it's design). & there is limited demand in our system (especially with the improvement of high ISO on recent sensors) so Sony have simply matched up supply & demand imo. However, with bodies like the new A77 & new FFs coming imo at some point they will redesign/develop a new 300/2.8 to be both cheaper to manufacture & better optically.
If you look at the price of the latest generation Canon & Nikon (which admittedly are slightly better) it's not really out of line with those.

How about the Sigma 500/4.5 (I'm assuming that you've ruled out the like of the 50-500 & 70-400 due to the "slow" aperture)?
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Yes, I have been puzzling for some time and eventually overcome my own...breaking point, the weight. By carefully comparing weight and magnification factor, you will find the only rival is latest Canon 300/2.8II. I have to admit my royalty KM weighs more so I  placed my order yesterday. The usual assembling and transport time is around 45 days.
I also bought a Gitzo tripod yesterday and wait for Sony 500/4.

On the other hand, I am very reluctant to buy a Sigma for alpha mount. I have experienced various issues about my Sigma lenses that I have. Even I have to buy Sigma 500/4.5, I will buy either a Nikon/Canon version because of better 2nd hand market value..

In fact, I am still exploring the AF capability of A77. It seems that even my older Canon 30D outperforms A77 in AF field.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Mark K wrote:...In fact, I am still exploring the AF capability of A77. It seems that even my older Canon 30D outperforms A77 in AF field.
:shock: :shock: you're kidding, right?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Doc, he may be not kidding.

What I know for sure is that all cams starting from a500/550 had problems focusing on fine patterns. It seems that focusing system is locking only to the low freq components of the image. So focusing on a single thin twig is no problem, since there are all the spatial freqs in its image; but then if there's a pattern of such twigs, the low freq components of the image are zeroed, and the AF cannot lock. The worst case for such AF system would be to try and focus on some wicker surface.

The earlier a700/900/850 had no problems locking even on very finely structured surfaces, like some blank white LCD screen - those earlier cams could lock the AF on the screen subpixels.

So now we need to know if the a77 AF is any better than all the cams in the a500-a65 range in that particular regard.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I am quite sure a700's capability as I always use two cameras not to miss a single shot. A700 is much better in tracking a BIF. However, that may also because of my earlier misuse of A77's focusing system
On the other hand, 30D did a great job in tracking a flying common fisher and you can't imagine how fast it flew because it was so close to me.

Back to 300/2.8 G SSM, my dealer told me with a shocking tone that Sony will increase all lens prices soon in December so all preorders are frozen. Honestly, 300/2.8 SSM G was priced, after Sony's taking of Minolta, significantly higher than C and N so if the price goes up further, I will no longer invest in all alpha mount glass. There should be little left in Sony in pursuit of my bird photography dream, both the camera bodies and telephoto lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

agorabasta wrote:What I know for sure is that all cams starting from a500/550 had problems focusing on fine patterns. It seems that focusing system is locking only to the low freq components of the image. So focusing on a single thin twig is no problem, since there are all the spatial freqs in its image; but then if there's a pattern of such twigs, the low freq components of the image are zeroed, and the AF cannot lock. The worst case for such AF system would be to try and focus on some wicker surface.
I've noticed that this weekend with the 70-400G and my a580. When pointing to a specific spot like a bird in a flurry of twigs and branches, the camera had problems locking focus on the bird. This even occurred when I was positive the bird was in focus in my viewfinder, but the shutter wouldn't trigger because focus was not locked. Missed a few shots because of it, but thought it was just my inexperience. Maybe it partly still is, but your comment does sound very familiar!

Mark
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You are correct Sony are priced higher esp for lenses like the 300mm f2.8 quite a bit higher than Canon and Nikon. They have all gone up in price over the last year or so a lot as well (not all but most lenses)
Other lenses are pretty pricey too the 16-80mm doesn't give much change out of £600 odd. I remember when it was under £400 for a brief time
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Maybe Sony are moving towards the way printers are sold. Dirt cheap for what they are and then expensive inks to recoup earnings. I remember buying a Photo R285 for £55 and beside it was a replacement set of Epson inks at just below £50. I felt pleased with myself and then used JetTec when the originals were used up.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Well, alphaomega, that would better mean inventing some servicing liquids for the lenses, like those you have in your car. Better yet, they may request frequent checks by 'authorised' punks just to keep your warranty live.

Nice perspective, non?
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Local Sony has launched premium services including lens cleaning, viewfinder cleaning, sensor cleaning and each costs around UKP 30 and up. You can buy several of these services in combination enjoying some 10% of the listed prices.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

in Australia, http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/ (who look like a gray importer) have the Canon 300L 2.8 for $7727.00 and the Sony 300f2.8 for $5879.00

has for AF, going from a A350 to a A550, the A550 ability to focus on small birds in trees (or any bird at long distances) is light years ahead of the A350 ;)

Lucky I never owned/used an a700, that way the A550 seems great ;)
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

5879 is the price I am ready to pay any time Steve, but....local Sony wants to sell it at AUD 7000