Are Sigma moving upmarket?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Are Sigma moving upmarket?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Just a trend I have noticed with Sigma whilst they offer a range of lenses at various prices they seem to be moving a bit more "upmarket" for want of a better word.

A lot of the lenses now have in body motors, and added IS though this has led to more expensive lenses generally. Not always a bad move, though some are a bit puzzling to say the least. The Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS seems a good example whilst they've added the motor and OS the lens is around £300 yet does not seem to fare very well in the reviews (and does not seem to be much if any better than other cheaper 70-300mm lenses)

Another interesting one is the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM which again looks pretty nice but carries a £500+ price tag. With Sony's new weather sealed 16-50mm f2.8 SSM lens, around the same price but has obvious benefits (weather sealing, bit wider), I wonder if Sigma can maintain a mid level presence where they might come under pressure from original makers offerings.

And for users with in built AS/SSS systems is there any real advantage for Sigma offering OS lenses? Other than possibly adding to cost.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Are Sigma moving upmarket?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 70-300mm is not an Apo design or a macro - the classic Apo Macro remains the ultimate 70-300mm, and no-one has yet beaten Sigma on this spec. But I use the new OS type in preference to the Sony 70-300mm SSM G. It seems to perform better across the range and has the benefit of OS - which I doubt will be found in any future Sigma for Sony.

David
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

David, do you think that the cessation of OS inclusion on Pentax & Sony mounts which they had started then appear to have stopped is as a result of Nikon suing them over OS/VR technology (presumably if they lose they will end up paying a royalty per lens so if they don't fit to Pentax/Sony which have in-body IS/VR/OS then no payment due for those)?

I do think that Sigma are trying to increase their price level but where they were starting to have a unique selling point of offering OS (good for ultra-tele & also video on-sensor-shift bodies) on Sony & some Pentax where they could command a premium over Tamron/Tokina if they are going to charge that premium without the OS then imo few will pay particularly where it brings them into close price competition with first-tier manufacturer products such as the example given.
bfitzgerald

The Sigma 70-300mm APO gets very mixed reports I've seen some good ones and some pretty weak ones too.
Let's not forget Tamron are adding in lens motors and VC is more obvious in their range now.

There are prices to pay though OS and in lens motors has made lenses bigger
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

bfitzgerald wrote: Let's not forget Tamron are adding in lens motors and VC is more obvious in their range now.
no VC on Sony mount though (or Pentax afaik) & again no discount to CaNikon mounts that do have it.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I have very bad experiences with my Sigma lens. I have had 400/5.6 apo, 28-70/2.8 EX, 70-200/2.8ex, 18-125, 70-300, 50/2.8macro, 24-135. All eventually have durability problem including haziness over lens parts, decreased optical quality, etc etc.
If they are moving upmarket...there are issues they must fix first.
bfitzgerald

You had problems with all of them?
I'm not sure what the Haziness issue could be I've some pretty old lenses knocking around and I can't say I've had that problem
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

bfitzgerald wrote:You had problems with all of them?
I'm not sure what the Haziness issue could be I've some pretty old lenses knocking around and I can't say I've had that problem
I must be honest in 25 Years as a Nikon User I never put a third Party Lens on a body without problems, Whether it be Glass related focus related or just that the damn thing fell to bits!
That is until I tried the Sigma 8-16mm a few short months ago on my now sold D7000, it was brilliant!
Tried out the new 70-200mm F2.8 OS as well and it's lovely too, had a handle of the new 12-24mm and the 85mm F1.4 and I have to say that I like you feel that Sigma have upped the Ante somewhat, the constuction tolerances of the new Higher grade Lenses at least seem improved beyond all recognition to me anyway, now a worthy alternative to OEM. (Sony are you listening drop the price of that flaming 70-200 F2.8!) :cry: :evil: :cry:
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Well, Sigma does have their own fabulously exclusive and overpriced DSLR to mount them on now, so it's reasonable to assume that they'd put greater design and assembly care into their "in-system" products.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --