SIGMA 28-105mm 1:2.8-4 Lens

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
ruthless
Initiate

SIGMA 28-105mm 1:2.8-4 Lens

Unread post by ruthless »

I have had this lens for a while , it has a tendancy to underexpose pictures when I us a flash. It has been back to SIGMA and they say it is working fine. Any suggestions? Should I 86 it and get somehthing else?
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: SIGMA 28-105mm 1:2.8-4 Lens

Unread post by Javelin »

It's not a terribly expensive lens but I see the few reviews that there are of it aren't screamingly favourable none of those are D lenses either. theres lots of lenses inthat range from used minolta to brand new sony so you have a lot of choice. I was intrigued by your flahs under exposing with the lens attached does your copy have a distance encoder? 8 contacts on the back.. have you tried your flash in TTL mode too ?
ruthless
Initiate

Unread post by ruthless »

I set the flash to TTL and it works perfectly. Thanks for the input.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

wow thats good to hear. I'm a little surprised though I thought the cameras would default to TTL automatically if a lens without a distance encoder was attached. maybe that info is wrong.
ruthless wrote:I set the flash to TTL and it works perfectly. Thanks for the input.
HUM469
Acolyte

Unread post by HUM469 »

Javelin wrote:wow thats good to hear. I'm a little surprised though I thought the cameras would default to TTL automatically if a lens without a distance encoder was attached. maybe that info is wrong.
According to the A700 manual, no, it won't automatically switch. It only reverts to TTL automatically when you switch to wireless, plug in a PC cable, or attach the twin macro setup. If you use a non ADI lens and don't change to TTL, you can get some weird effects as the camera tries to use the non-existent distance information as a friend of mine found out the hard way. You must also change to TTL manually when you are using a diffuser, any filter that changes exposure (Like ND's), wide panels, or close up lenses. Basically anything attached to the flash head or front of the lens. As much as I like some of my older lenses, if I am going to use direct flash, then I only use my ADI lenses. Of course I seldom use direct flash, prefering diffusers, wireless setups and the like, so it's rare for me to need ADI. Still, it's nice that it's there.
-Dylan Anderson
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, http://www.azcde.org
Co-founder, http://www.ArtPettingZoo.com

A700, Sig 28-70 EX DG F2.8, Minolta Beer Can, 24 F2.8, 50 F1.7, Sig 70-300 F4-5.6 macro, twin 36FM's
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

well thats good to know. I think it's been a pretty common misconception then because I see it quoted a lot.