Beware of what you put in your camera bag :-(

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Beware of what you put in your camera bag :-(

Unread post by InTheSky »

This is what happen when you put simple stock in your camera bag ... I never thought it will be able to do that.

Other things ... I should bring more often my camera lens cap ...

Expensive filter ... but compare to other in my life I have scrap, I found the B&W active almost like a car windshield ... where the glasses have still stayed together and didn't touch the front lens element (fiouf !).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
mvanrheenen

Re: Beware of what you put in your camera bag :-(

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

You must be very glad you had the filter mounted. It could've been the front element of the lens@

Mark
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

So the morale of this story: Always keep the lens cap on, and use a hard metal lens cap so that it damages the chain as a revenge :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about that Frank. At least the lens front element was safe.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

InTheSky wrote: ... I never thought it will be able to do that.
... I should bring more often my camera lens cap ...
Frank
Sorry to hear of the damage to the filter, Frank. The lens is saved pretty nicely as you say.
I had a hard time figuring out what it was that forced the glass element inwards and caused the cracks...but finally I identify it as a USB cable.

And one would think those smooth cables and the small metal plugs would hardly cause serious damage.
I'm glad I carry my camera's USB cable in a pocket on the side of the camera bag.

Will keep your experience in mind, always..

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

No scratches on the front element Frank? what lens was it? looks like a 28-75 from what I can see, it would have been tragic to write one of those off.
I've gotten a tad lazy lately with my lenses, no lens caps, I leave the lens hood in place facing forward though, they take up more room but with a filter on the front and the hood facing forward and checking that nothing is in the bottom of a lens pouch they seem pretty safe from any damage, and they are ready instantly for use, no fumbling with lens caps and lens hoods etc. only the stupid indexed rear cap, why Minolta ever made the rear lens cap only able to be put on in one position I'll never be able to understand.
Greg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Minolta lens caps open the apertures when they are fitted
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Greg Beetham wrote:No scratches on the front element Frank? what lens was it? looks like a 28-75 from what I can see, it would have been tragic to write one of those off.
Greg
Yep, it is the old and trusty 28-75mm 2.8, and so far even looking very close no trace on the front element of the lens. I'm using only old discontinued Minolta lenses (2.0 series, HS super prime long focal) and I am also too lazy on protecting them. This event yesterday will change a little bit the situation (for a few weeks ... :-)).

On of my friend who inspired me to go in the photographic world told me something like : no pain no gain in photo :-), that you have to bring your camera at all the place an situation where usually you should be scare ... The result -> you take picture that nobody usually take :-).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Javelin wrote:Minolta lens caps open the apertures when they are fitted
Thanks Javelin, but I’m sure if they wanted too they could have made all three positions do the same, I’m almost positive the old MD rear lens caps can be put on in any position, not sure about the iris being held open or not though…offhand, I’d have to dig one out of the wardrobe to check.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Ouch :shock: . Glad the lens was ok Frank.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm glad your lens was okay, but did you take any shots thought the carnage?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Greg Beetham wrote:
Javelin wrote:Minolta lens caps open the apertures when they are fitted
Thanks Javelin, but I’m sure if they wanted too they could have made all three positions do the same, I’m almost positive the old MD rear lens caps can be put on in any position, not sure about the iris being held open or not though…offhand, I’d have to dig one out of the wardrobe to check.
Greg
I'm not too sure the MD caps could be put on in all 3 positions, but I am sure that MD lenses default is wide open iris, and when the shutter is pressed the camera stops it down to your pre-set. The Alpha is a closed iris, which the camera opens a pre-determined amount when you hit the shutter.

The MD way always seemed to make more sense to me.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Dusty I just went to the trouble of digging the X-700 camera bag out; I looked at the MD70-210 f4 and the MD135 f2 both with genuine Minolta Camera Co. rear lens caps. The indeed can be put on in any position and the iris stays closed, however when you mount one on a camera the iris opens fully of course, just like they should.
I also had a look at the A700 with the 28-75 but couldn’t see if the iris was open or closed, then I tried the KM5D, it had a 24-105 and I couldn’t see clearly into it either, but I struck paydirt with the A100 and the 100-300apo, it was large enough inside to see what was going on (with a torch) and the iris in it was fully open as well even though the camera was turned off
Greg
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Greg, open the f-stop setting up to wide open with it off the camera and tell me what you see. Yes, when mounted it has to be fully open for metering, but I believe that if you set it wide open, (via the aperture ring) it will remain that way.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ah Dusty now I see what you driving at, you can set the aperture ring to full open if you desire. But these are MD’s and of course the MD lock tab has been engaged so the aperture is set to minimum, what the point of the exercise was about was to see if the lens caps held the aperture fully open as if they were on a camera like the A-mount lens caps do…and they don’t.
What I don’t know is the reason why they decided to do that with the A-mount lens caps, and then having done that they made them only able to do it in one position.
Greg