500mm RF mirror on A77 - Moon

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

500mm RF mirror on A77 - Moon

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Very careful focusing using maximum live view magnification, 10s delay timer, electronic first curtain. Very slightly reduced from 1153 pixel square clip of A77 frame from raw. Don't really think it is sharp enough.
50mma77.jpg
50mma77.jpg (245.17 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
Really need an Apo 800 or 1000mm or longer for this :-)

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

Re: 500mm RF mirror on A77 - Moon

Unread post by InTheSky »

I think It was sharper with the A700 and the 500mm REFLEX AF as I can remember.

I was expecting more from the A77. But probably the lens is in fault ?

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Well I think it’s magnificent at such big crop posted at such a big size, it would look a lot better at a smaller post size I reckon. The full moon is hard too get contrast out of from my limited experience at dabbling with the odd photo, I was thinking of experimenting with exposing more for those bright reflective craters some day like Tycho (lower right with the radial spokes), Aristarchus and Copernicus maybe as well are very bright, I don’t think you could actually expose for Aristarchus as it’s too bright I think, there is something odd going on with that crater actually, it’s hard to believe all that brightness is just reflected sunlight.
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David, did you turn off the SSS? I believe you didn't and I don't think the a77 is "smart" enough to disengage SSS while on timer.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

SSS off, last use was studio flash. I also took some shots with the Sigma APO Macro 70-300mm but those are so much smaller in scale - however, it's much sharper than the 500mm f/8 RF. I've never managed to get any truly sharp image with the 500mm, despite having three different ones over the years.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think it's asking a lot of a camera lens to produce a sharp photo of something so small enlarged to such a large size on screen. If I were to think of making such a large image of the moon I think I'd think seriously about using my 1500mm f6 lens.
Greg
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

Although I used this lens for a long time, and got many good shots on chrome, it did not hold up well enough with my a55. I sold it and used the money to buy the Minolta 100-400 APO. Good trade. (time to update my profile.....)
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.