Sony SAM 28-75/2.8 Camera Body button question:?:

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Sony SAM 28-75/2.8 Camera Body button question:?:

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Can anyone tell me if the camera AF/MF button work with the SAM 28-75/2.8?

It doesn't with the SAM 18-55 kit lens where you have to use a mechanical switch on the lens, but I don't know if that is typical for all SAM lenses.
As far as I'm aware this is the case for all SAM Lenses bt I've never seen this one and would like to confirm this as I may purchase one sometime, that however may dissuade me from doing so...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: Sony SAM 28-75/2.8 Camera Body button question:?:

Unread post by redsim74 »

As far as I'm aware, none of the Sony SAM lenses support DMF, which suggests the focus cannot be decoupled from the camera side.

Given the price of the Sony, the Tamron or old KM version (which I have) may be better value.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Yes, I keep looking at Davids one on Ebay but for reasons of as much future proofing as I can I'd like a motor in tHe Lens... :D
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

lonewolf16x9 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the camera AF/MF button work with the SAM 28-75/2.8?

It doesn't with the SAM 18-55 kit lens where you have to use a mechanical switch on the lens, but I don't know if that is typical for all SAM lenses.
As far as I'm aware this is the case for all SAM Lenses bt I've never seen this one and would like to confirm this as I may purchase one sometime, that however may dissuade me from doing so...
I just tried my 18-55 SAM on my a700, and the MF/AF button switches it to MF no problem. Do you have your button set to toggle or hold?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Do NOT use camera-body focus controls to change a SAM lens from AF to MF if you want to make MF adjustments. They're useful as a focus-hold only, but they do not decouple the SAM from the focus ring, and MF inputs have the potential to ruin the AF motor.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Thought so, deal breaker for me, looks like the expensivo options...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

It's not that bad, really. I mean, yes, it it annoying, but the switch on the lens barrel works just as well if you want to make some MF input. The biggest downside for me with these SAM lenses (I have some primes, not zooms) is that they have no depth of field scale.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Re-looking at it Kevin, I'm not going to dump £1200 or so on the Zeiss 24-70mm anytime soon, so I'll learn to live with it I think, just got to get it past the head of the financial commitee, now thats the hard bit! :lol:
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

But why not choose the Tamron screwdrive version then? You get the normal DMF, and its focus travel is so short some claim theirs focus faster than SAM...
redsim74
Oligarch

agorabasta wrote:But why not choose the Tamron screwdrive version then? You get the normal DMF, and its focus travel is so short some claim theirs focus faster than SAM...
My KM version is extremely quick to focus on the A700.

Having used it recently after a long layoff however, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for manual focus use. Way too twitchy on the focus ring. Of course that could just be my copy.
agorabasta
Viceroy

redsim74 wrote:Way too twitchy on the focus ring. Of course that could just be my copy.
I was also wary if it's any good for MF and wouldn't practice that on regular basis with the older bodies. Then I tried it on the Nex with adapter, and found it very good with focus peaking. I simply grab the focus ring so that my thumb also touches the static part of the barrel thus damping the focus ring movement somewhat.

And btw, that lens really delivers the quality on all Nex bodies I have. My version is the Tamron.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

agorabasta wrote:But why not choose the Tamron screwdrive version then? You get the normal DMF, and its focus travel is so short some claim theirs focus faster than SAM...
Vein attempt at future proofing, in so much as I can, I feel it's not the time to be buying any new Screwdrive Lenses, As soon as Sony get their lineup in SSM/SAM The screwdrive is gone, you know what they are like! :lol:
Despite the cheapo SAM Motor in the Sony I feel it tracks better, smoother as the name states, than the Tamron, probably not as quick, just as you say however...
Other than that gut feeling, nothing at all wrong with the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (Alphabet soup!), In fact, good old Kurt Munger prefers it to the Sony and KM Versions...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
redsim74
Oligarch

agorabasta wrote:And btw, that lens really delivers the quality on all Nex bodies I have.
I don't doubt it. Unfortunately, it may be some time before I can afford to mate it up with my own 5N.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

One more question about this Lens, How does the Manual Focus feel, It's difficult to get to actually see one to play...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
agorabasta
Viceroy

I can't speak for the Sony version, but my Tamron is rather easy to MF in any LV mode, no real need for the peaking help. And all I read about Sony implies that it's better in regard of MF control.

But frankly, given the FL range, that f/2.8 provides for a very comfortable DoF for precise MF.