Original Sigma 28-200mm push-pull AF zoom for Minolta AF

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Original Sigma 28-200mm push-pull AF zoom for Minolta AF

Unread post by Almazar80 »

I have what I believe is the first version of the Sigma 28-200mm AF zoom lens (push-pull) f4-5.6 lens. It's actually not too bad optically. It has an all metal construction. What's strange about it is that this Sigma lens seems to work with every Sony AF camera I've put it on. This includes the A77. Peculiar, since a lot of newer Sigmas need rom upgrades to work with SLT cameras. Anybody know more about this lens? Thanks.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Original Sigma 28-200mm push-pull AF zoom for Minolta AF

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Which early Sigmas work, and which don't, is a bit of a lottery. I have a 16mm MF focus confirm fisheye which works fine and probably dates from 1986. I just would not buy a Sigma of this vintage unless it was confirmed, as you have done, that it does work with modern Alpha mount cameras.

David
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

Thanks David. I got the Sigma when I bought several items from this fellow two years ago. I sold the 28-135mm Minolta (which is a lot sharper, but its heavy and I don't like the MFD). The Sigma has a large MFD and is not nearly as sharp, but I don't see a lot of it in the after market and I like to see how long this Sigma remains compatible with the Sony cams. Optically, it's okay but it's mainly a paperweight.

Happy holidays to all.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I remember in 1986 I bought a slide zoom Vivitar 28-200mm for someone to use on her Minolta XG-1. It was big, heavy, and all-metal. Probably similar vintage to the Sigma you have. Much, much bigger and heavier than the current Tamron 28-300mm lens that even has VC. :)

By the way, I have a Sigma 24mm f2.8 that I bought in Tokyo in 1991. It works fine on my A700 and A100 and also on the KM 7D I had before. The funny thing about it is that it will AF accurately on all 3 of those bodies, but Minolta and Sony lenses using the same focal length are always unreliable as to whether they will AF accurately -- often they are way off. I thought at one time that maybe it was the f2.8 aperture of the Sigma whereas the Minolta and Sony zoom lenses were often about f4 at 24mm, but I think the A100 and 7D don't have f2.8 AF sensors. I think only the A700 does so it doesn't seem to explain why the Sigma works so well on the A100 and 7D, but Sony/Minolta lenses don't. The Sigma is small, light, works well, and gives a 36mm fov on APS-C so I have kept it and always take it with me when I travel.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Where you most likely are to strike trouble with an old lens is with direct fill flash ADI flash where the camera needs a fully compliant lens (8 pin) with the correct encoder ROM for setting the aperture correctly with flash duration/shutter speed and output for distance, ISO and f-stop. But if you don’t use flash or more particularly direct ADI flash (the camera would likely automatically revert to TTL mode in any case, but even there an old lens might have a sticky diaphragm) you most likely won’t have any problems if the AF is working ok, the only other thing that might be a problem is AS might not be functional or not functioning correctly.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Greg - pre-flash TTL doesn't stop the lens down as far as I am aware, so a sticky lens would still give an error just the same as ADI would do.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg, at least so far my 20 year-old Sigma 24mm lens has had no problems with a sticky aperture. Works as well as the day I bought it. It is surprising and amusing that KM and Sony can focus it so well and better than any of my Sony/Minolta lenses that have focal lengths that go to 35mm or less (2 Sony, 3 Minolta, and also 1 Tokina).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Greg - pre-flash TTL doesn't stop the lens down as far as I am aware, so a sticky lens would still give an error just the same as ADI would do.

David
bakubo wrote:Greg, at least so far my 20 year-old Sigma 24mm lens has had no problems with a sticky aperture. Works as well as the day I bought it. It is surprising and amusing that KM and Sony can focus it so well and better than any of my Sony/Minolta lenses that have focal lengths that go to 35mm or less (2 Sony, 3 Minolta, and also 1 Tokina).
Yes David I probably could have worded that better, I was trying to say (amongst other things) that if there is a sticky diaphragm involved (an unknown unknown, or is it a known unknown?), and/or unless one is shooting at full open aperture there is a good probability that direct flash (and just as likely, indirect flash as well) will deliver erratic exposure errors whatever the mode or lens used.
Then there is the A700 hot-shoe contact problem as well; my (and quite a few others from what I’ve seen) A700 is prone to losing comms with the flash in portrait position, (and sometimes even in landscape position as well). I have to watch it like a hawk, I can jiggle the flash a bit and restore contact when the flash icon disappears off the rear panel, it reappears after a jiggle and I know I’ll get proper exposure. I suspect it’s the plastic getting rubbed off the hot-shoe by the action of sliding the flash contacts across it as it goes into position, the plastic there seems to be softer than on my other two cameras and a small residue of highly insulating material can be transferred onto the camera contacts, thus creating an erratic contact. I think mine needs cleaning once again at the moment, I noticed the other day it had begun doing it again.
All in all I have to say Sony have not done a good job in the flash area, the degradation began right back at the beginning when they unaccountably removed the ring flash component from the macro flash system and only offered it as a twin flash. Looking at the exposure errors in a thread at dpr it now looks like the system has lost the ability too do action freezing rapid pulse as you would expect it would have when focussing close, a by-product of obtaining correct exposure when using the flash at close distances, maybe it’s something to do with other system modifications, video, EVF, LV, SAM or SSS…I don’t for know for sure, it’s another unknown, but I’m thinking some of those might not operate properly (refresh rates, frequencies etc.) when exposed too pulses in the order of 1/15000sec-1/30000sec or 1/50000sec.
Greg
Ps. Good lens Henry the AF and exposure side of things obviously works well, (I was more concentrating on the flash issue with older lenses), I suppose there could be a difference between manufacturers when it comes too the lube used in the diaphragm area, maybe Sigma use or used a graphite powder instead.