A-mount options with silent focus?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
kaled_201299
Acolyte

A-mount options with silent focus?

Unread post by kaled_201299 »

So I have both the Nex-5 (with LA-EA2) and A77 and have really taken to their video capabilities.
However, I have a problem in that my 16-80 CZ doesn't have a SSM motor and therefore is very audible in video.

I'm looking for a lens that has near silent focussing, which will be used primarily indoors. I'm happy to buy a lens with a similar range to the 16-80, but ideally if this is the case I'd see it as a second lens for video and not want to spend a huge amount on it. Otherwoise I'm happy to spend money on a lens which provides something I don't have, for example a wide prime.

I've ruled out SAM lenses on the basis that they are loud and offer no benefit to in body focussing!
What I don't have any experience of is how Sigma HSM lenses perform.

Any suggestions?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A77, 16-80mm CZ, 16-50mm SSM, 70-300mm G SSM, 50mm 1.7, F43AM, F20AM
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
mvanrheenen

Re: A-mount options with silent focus?

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi kaled_201299,

The first thing that popped into my mind was the new Sony 16-50 f2.8 SSM lens. This lens is fast, in the focal length you want and has similar or better optical qualities than the CZ16-80. I don't own the lens, but have a 70-400G with SSM, focussing is smooth, fast and quiet!

Check out the vaious threads on this forum about the Sony 16-50 f2.8 SSM lens' performance.

Good luck!

Mark
kaled_201299
Acolyte

thanks - I have the 70-300G ssm and that lens is sufficiently quiet for me to agree that other ssm lenses are likely to be quiet too.
The problem I have with the 16-50 is that it is 1. too similar to the 16-80 and therefore 2. too expensive (not necessarily in its own right, but for my needs).
I'm not against spending that sort of money, but not for a lens that doesn't something different to what I already have.
The lenses that jump out to me are the Sigma 18-50 or 17-70 models with HSM, which are a few hundred less? Or a fast 24 to 30 mm prime?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
mvanrheenen

Hi,

Maybe I interpreted the "I'm happy to buy a lens with a similar range to the 16-80" a bit too litteral. I understand your need for something less expensive. I don't have that much experience with HSM motors from Sigma.

Is manual focus an option for you?

Mark
kaled_201299
Acolyte

If I'm honest I can't be bothered with manual focus for video. What I have started to do with A77 is try and restrict my movement to minimise the amount of re-focussing needed during a given shot.

Sounds like I need the views of some folk who have experience of Sigma HSM lenses.
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
mvanrheenen

Yep, maybe you do. Hope you'll find a solution to your issue. Good luck!

Mark
kaled_201299
Acolyte

To help get feedback on some specifics, I've searched high and low to identify some potential Zooms that have a silent focussing and these are the options that I can see - any comments, particularly with respect to focussing noise would be appreciated.

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC HSM
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 OS HSM
Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3,5 -6,3 Di II VC PZD

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
Sony 16-50 SSM

The latter 3 from a cost/range point of view overlap closely with the 16-80 CZ I already have.
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Only the Sony, out of all these, can perform CD af (one shot) on NEX and 580 etc bodies. The Sigma and Tamron equivalent motors don't work correctly but the Sony lens will work in any combination of Alpha body, NEX body, adaptor, in any mode which can be set for AF using either phase or contrast detection.

So for future-proofing, the Sony 16-50mm is the best bet.

David
kaled_201299
Acolyte

I was aware that the Sigma lenses posed a problem with the A77/A65 having seen notices to the effect that say a firmware update will be necessary.

If I understood your email correctly you're telling me that only the Sony will operate correctly with the NEX-5 (e.g. with the LA-EA1 adaptor) or other Alpha employing contrast AF?

Presumably, with the firmware update, all the lenses should work with phase detect AF, and for me that would be fine i.e. I don't need to worry about contrast detect with the A77 or Nex-5/Laea2?

Do you have any experience of using the 18-50 Sigma and the AF - it seems to be reasonable value for a second/video lens?
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No specific experience of the 18-50mm Sigma on later cameras, it should be fine on the A77/65 where micro AF adjustment is possible (its main failing has generally been poor focus calibration). However, because it is a Sigma it uses a borrowed Sony lens identity and if you do use AF calibration, this might upset another lens's accuracy.

If you will never use any kind of Contrast-Detect AF and do not care about in-camera lens corrections (which have a beneficial effect on video, and on modes like sweep pan) then the Sigma will be fine. I am just a little wary now because Sony has started to put very specific stuff into firmware which will only work best with Sony lenses. As above.

On another caveat, remember that Sony says functions like First Curtain electronic shutter action only work correctly with current Sony lenses. Even some older, KM and all Minolta lenses are liable to produce errors though I suspect that is in specific conditions and very rarely. We should assume that Sigma and Tamron lenses are not guaranteed to behave like late Sony designs, and may behave like earlier Minolta/KM/Sony designs, and may therefore throw up similar problems.

David
kaled_201299
Acolyte

Thanks David,
Some very good thoughts to ponder indeed. I have to say that despite the 'firmware update' I'm somewhat nervous about any further complications with respect to compatibility. AF calibration is the obvious one - I'll have to probe Sigma further on this. As a side note, did you know you can also do AF calibration on the NEx-5 with the LA-EA2?

I admit that I hadn't considered the potential issue with the First curtain electronic shutter, nor in-camera lens correction - in the latter case, I shoot exclusively in RAW where possible (i.e. unless using panorama etc) so have ignored it. However, if it has benefits with video and of course JPEG only modes then it is something I should care about.
Until the A77, I really hadn't seen the need for SSM lenses and now I find that we aer very poorly served at the moment. Does anyone know, or can speculate what future lens plans Sony have?
NEX-6, 16-50mm, LA-EA2
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I have the 17-50 and 18-250 HSM Sigmas. The start and stop of HSM focusing action that happens permanently through video recording is about as loud as the infamous clicking of the 5N. And then some humming in between. OK only for the external directional mikes. If you shoot two people calmly talking indoor, there's no way to use internal mikes. (Thank God I hate the amateur video!)

First curtain electronic fails only due to slow aperture action. So no lens is totally guaranteed against that. At certain temps/humidities any mechanical aperture may get too slow, no matter how new the design.

I have two SLT thingies - an a55 and a LA-EA2. Didn't ever get any Sigma to fail on them, and I used to have more of Sigmas when I just got my a55.
On the other hand, I had persistent problems with Tamron 28-75 losing communication with the a55 body, and then the very same kind of problem with Sony SAL18250 losing communication intermittently with the LA-EA2.
So not all urban legends are true or wrong, even if publicly recognised by Sigma while never recognised by the others...
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

I use the Tamron 17-50 on the a55 and on rare occasions notice the focusing noise. I took it on a trip to Bangkok and video'd some dancing, with a large silent room and the musicians 30-40 feet away. The only issue I had with focus searching when the dancers moved was the *visual* effect - much more bothersome than noise, which in this case was not there. I simultaneously recorded the music with a Hi-D minidisk and was so pleasantly surprised by the in-camera mikes that I never used the minidisk track. YMMV.