Dynax lens on Alpha 100

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Dynax lens on Alpha 100

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

I'm about to buy an Alpha 100. Digital will be a new beginning for me.
I have lenses for my Dynax cameras. The best two are my 28-135mm f4 to f4.5 and Sigma 105mm macro.
Will I get all the functions from these lenses that the kit lens has and if not what are the deficiencies please?
Also are there any disadvantages using lenses for 35mm film (apart from effective increase in focal length) on a digital camera?
Thanks
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Both lenses will work perfectly with the Alpha 100. There is a minimal risk that the Sigma will need rechipping, but I tried a bunch of really old Sigma M-AF lenses on the Alpha 100 in February (the Disabled Photographers' Society was selling them from £12 to £20 each and people looking at them were worried they would not work). All worked, even the ancient 1980s 70-210mm.

The 28-135mm has a great reputation on digital. I would definitely get the 18-70mm kit lens though as you will miss wide-angle if you just have the 28-135mm and the macro.

There are theoretical disadvantages in using film lenses, but both these are high resolution designs and more than up to digital capture.

David
chorleyjeff
Initiate

[
The 28-135mm has a great reputation on digital. I would definitely get the 18-70mm kit lens though as you will miss wide-angle if you just have the 28-135mm and the macro.

David[/quote]

Thanks for speady and reassuring reply!
My thoughts about wide angle are to look for a lens equivalent to about 24mm at its shortest focal length up to around the 28mm of my current Minolta zoom.
I have been given photoshop and bought an Epson 1800 printer dirt cheap from a friend (rich guy upgrading to Epson 2400) so all I need to do is learn about digital processes - and I hope your web site will assist in that regard.
Cheers
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Get yourself a continuous ink kit for the 1800, you will save a fortune if you start out from the beginning using something like the Lysonic or Permajet CIS system.

Sounds as if you need to look for a good used Konica Minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4 (D) zoom, which would fit in well. And alternative would be a recent Sigma 18-35mm f3.5-4.5, this has the benefit of taking the same 72mm filters as the 28-15mm.

David
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

When you buy the body do get yourself the kit 18-70mm lens as it's so cheap and it can actually be quite good. I don't know if I've been lucky and have a particularly good version but I'm very pleased with mine - even in comparison with more exotic glass.
Roger
chorleyjeff
Initiate

rogprov wrote:When you buy the body do get yourself the kit 18-70mm lens as it's so cheap and it can actually be quite good. I don't know if I've been lucky and have a particularly good version but I'm very pleased with mine - even in comparison with more exotic glass.
Ah. I've gone and got the body only.
My 28-135 wighs a ton (quite a lot anyhow) so a kit lens for when I'm walking the fells and moors could be on my Xmas pressie list.
And one day into this digi experience it all seems very confusing - sems a very steep learning curve.
Cheers

Jeff