SAL 500 F4 G Is here!

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: SAL 500 F4 G Is here!

Unread post by agorabasta »

pakodominguez wrote:... because almost everything cost about 60% more in Chile!
Pako, your friends should try Uruguay for that kind of shopping... then they may come to have some fun at NYC on the change saved...
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sometimes you get a 2 year warranty it varies quite a bit.
I believe in Germany for instance they have to give it to you for 2 years, but that varies from country to country.
Other times you'll get a 2 year warranty when you buy from a brand dealer. I got 2 years on my K-x as I bought if from a main dealer

For the D90 I got a 2 year warranty but that is from the seller (EU based no UK) If I bought in the UK I would have to register to increase 1 year to 2 years.
I can't register non UK stock either, but as I'm covered by the EU seller I'm ok with that

VAT is the killer in Europe it's gone up in a lot of countries. This is why the grey market is so strong..often you can get a better deal outside the EU
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:... because almost everything cost about 60% more in Chile!
Pako, your friends should try Uruguay for that kind of shopping... then they may come to have some fun at NYC on the change saved...
There is another reason for that: Argentina, Brazil Chile or Peru have "strong" currency (for really different reasons: Brazil or Peru are doing extremely well, Argentina... well Argentina... is just expensive right now) while other countries in the region, even if "doing OK", have a different monetary policy.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bfitzgerald wrote: For the D90 I got a 2 year warranty but that is from the seller (EU based no UK) If I bought in the UK I would have to register to increase 1 year to 2 years.
I can't register non UK stock either, but as I'm covered by the EU seller I'm ok with that
Nikon USA is not taking any gray market product for service. No warranty. Nothing if you have not get it from "them".
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

https://twitter.com/#!/fashionortheast/ ... 4634454016
"
@fashionortheast Robert Bedson
Ordered from @bhphotovideo on Tuesday pm in NYC, delivered today in UK, amazing service and I saved 50% even after paying VAT & duty, thanks
"
Pako
------------
agorabasta
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:... different monetary policy.
All of the Brazil-Uruguay border at the main border-crossing roads is a huge 'mall' on the Uruguaiano side. And you may well pay in US dollars... Tell you, Uruguay is still very special :wink:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes Pako voting is probably the key to it, thing is how to get politicians to do anything about it once their in office. They keep saying the economy is strong, the reserve bank has interest set at 4.25%, the highest in the known universe, and the dollar has the same buying power as the US dollar bla bla.
Well my question is if everything is so swell how come we have always had to pay double what an American pays for the same item? And another thing, how will demand ever rise for items like camera gear and lenses here if people know they are getting reamed if they buy it in OZ?
Of course people are going to bypass getting their camera requirements here and get it in from well known trustworthy places like Adorama or B&H instead, and I guess that’s how the situation will remain. The worst thing about voting is, sooner or later you will end up with another politician.
Greg
bfitzgerald

pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote: For the D90 I got a 2 year warranty but that is from the seller (EU based no UK) If I bought in the UK I would have to register to increase 1 year to 2 years.
Nikon USA is not taking any gray market product for service. No warranty. Nothing if you have not get it from "them".

I'm sure they do most makers are the same they are trying to put off grey market buyers.
So the buyer will have to decide if they are happy to let the seller take care of the warranty (ie send it back to them)

As I bought my Nikon in Europe I have a European warranty card so I would not expect any issues with Nikon UK and repairs (if ever needed)

For bodies I tend to not go for grey market as the cost saving is minimal in most cases buying from Hong Kong etc (though sometimes it's worth a shot)
Lenses again I don't see huge price advantages with grey market either, but the situations is different for other things like flashes, Tamron/Sigma lenses which are often quite a bit cheaper on the grey
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

To return to the subject of Sony's new 500mm lens, here is a brief description of the lens focus speed and a video to demonstrate the focus action in practice.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/10/sony ... -on-video/
The Endgadget chap is quite impressed. It better be good at a cool £11,000 in UK.
agorabasta
Viceroy

The focusing speed is about the most important property such lens may have. After all, a few critically sharp action snaps at some important event could easily pay the lens costs...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes I agree you could probably make money with that lens using good technique and capturing some unique images at the right venue, the problem is those venues are usually a closed shop, the average Joe can’t just buy the equipment and show up to some big-time event and start snapping away.
David probably knows the details of how it all works, who greases the palms of who, and who those photographers work for in battle-lens row, and how they got admittance too the big time events and so on.
Greg
agorabasta
Viceroy

Greg Beetham wrote:... the average Joe can’t just buy the equipment and show up to some big-time event and start snapping away.
And that's why nobody even tries to price this telescope to the average Joe's pocket change allowances. :wink:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The answer Greg is that in the UK, big league soccer and many other sporting events sell the rights to coverage. They restrict all photographers except those engaged by media who have bought rights, and those media allocate the limited number of passes to staff or retained freelancers, or agencies working for them.

No such restrictions apply to minor leagues and noncommercial sport, so freelances and amateurs can get plenty of practice - but for these, it's generally just local papers paying very small fees for images. I doubt that a year's work for such a paper would cover the lens.

There's no greasing of palms, football clubs and sports stadiums face financial problems and closure here as there is no substantial government (state) support for any kind of sport, or for sports education - schools have been obliged to sell off sports fields to pay other bills or regenerate more essential facilities. So the fees big venues and clubs screw out of TV and newspapers are necessary for survival.

David
bfitzgerald

Might be just me but some of those football players do seem on rather high wages. In some cases quite obscene some of the salaries for the top players.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bfitzgerald wrote:Might be just me but some of those football players do seem on rather high wages. In some cases quite obscene some of the salaries for the top players.
Football (Soccer) economy is way more important that just players' salaries. There is a whole business around them like the event itself, showbiz, merchandising, etc that generate jobs in different areas, different regions.
Pako
------------