70-400G gets an update

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

70-400G gets an update

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

If you believe SAR: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-new- ... nced-soon/

It would be nice if they would add weathersealing, replace the focushold buttons and add an extra scale to the foculimiter. Not that I'm complaining :roll:

Mark
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: 70-400G gets an update

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The only things I can think of that I would like changed is four focus hold buttons instead of three and move the range selector back under the focus window too make room or make it more horizontal in shape, and make it in white like the rest…maybe, but really only constant aperture qualifies for white I think, maybe they will make it constant f4.5….and lower the price too. :mrgreen:
Greg
mvanrheenen

Greg Beetham wrote:... make it constant f4.5….and lower the price too. :mrgreen:
Greg
Not gonna happen :lol:
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

imo change the focus limiter values or add an additional setting (better).
speed up AF further
official weatherproofing would be nice but I suspect that it's already pretty good unofficially.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

... Helium inside to feel really light... :mrgreen:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Could be a price increase via "stealth" methods ie tweak a few things (white paint!) and sell it for more.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

well. if you believe SAR's update it's new coatings, weather sealing, white paint & more.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

A Sigmy I suspect with new coatings and weathersealing!

David
mvanrheenen

I just read the 70-200G will get a second version too. I read somewhere someone suggested this could have something to do with the Olympics. Maybe Sony finally got thinking about their salesstrategy for their cameraline, who knows!
Heidfirst
Oligarch

I suspect that it's too late for the Olympics but it does suggest that Sony are serious about pro level gear.
The 70-200 & 300/2.8 whilst still very good aren't quite up to the performance of their later designed competitors.
The 16-35, 24-70 + a revamped 70-200 & 70-400 would probably be a class-leading range of zooms (just needs an ultra wide to complete)

All the Gs (STF possibly excepted) & ZAs should be weatherproof & SSM.
The 100 Macro too (& a redesign of that & a new long macro would be welcome) would also benefit.
Last edited by Heidfirst on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

mvanrheenen wrote:I just read the 70-200G will get a second version too. I read somewhere someone suggested this could have something to do with the Olympics. Maybe Sony finally got thinking about their salesstrategy for their cameraline, who knows!
I don't think they have time for present, launch AND deliver such a product this spring...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mvanrheenen

pakodominguez wrote:
mvanrheenen wrote:I just read the 70-200G will get a second version too. I read somewhere someone suggested this could have something to do with the Olympics. Maybe Sony finally got thinking about their salesstrategy for their cameraline, who knows!
I don't think they have time for present, launch AND deliver such a product this spring...
You are probably right. I don't know exactly when the Olympics are due so didn't think about how realistic that would be.
mvanrheenen

mvanrheenen wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:I don't think they have time for present, launch AND deliver such a product this spring...
You are probably right. I don't know exactly when the Olympics are due so didn't think about how realistic that would be.
I stand corrected. Wou were right, Pako. Just read on SAR both the new 70-200 and 70-400 will appear late 2012/begin 2013. So, not going to happen anytime soon.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

mvanrheenen wrote:So, not going to happen anytime soon.
Unless the 'improvements' are purely cosmetic... which may include better coatings, tweaked focusing mechanics/electronics, etc small things. And that all may mean some real performance boost, although moderate. And then some new sales...