E mount prime lens quality.

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

E mount prime lens quality.

Unread post by Mark K »

Two years back when Sony launched NEX cameras, most of friends around rushed in and had their first EVIL camera system. Now many of their have shifted to micro 4/3 and the answer is simple: where are those quality prime lenses?
I have this first E mount macro lens and its outlook tells me there is only minimal glass in it. Regrettably I have never used it once.....not like the 35/1.8.
Reviews of the macro and the 50/1.8...are not very favourable. My question will be if Sony is able to launch quality inexpensive prime lenses for Alpha mount, can they do the same for E mount?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: E mount prime lens quality.

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I tend to think that Sony don’t have E-mount lenses as a high priority maybe because the camera lends itself to using a vast range of lenses via an adaptor and there is the possibility that if Sony starts putting out a much larger range of E-mount lenses then the A-mount users will take that as a signal that Sony no longer regards the A-mount as it’s first and foremost interchangeable lens system. I.e. Sony is caught between ze rock and ze hard place, but there are subtle signals that a gradual shift in the A-mount direction is underway, that began with the video centric SLT’s with full time, although noisy AF with screw drive lenses, and I would expect that process too continue gradually, especially with the supposed/rumoured A-mount camera without a screwdrive focus motor, if true, it gives the game away imo.
Sony could for all we know intend to morph the A-mount into a copycat budget Nikon/Canon type system, who knows they might even drop the IBIS (the switch has gone from the body) and go for an el-cheapo version of the IS system as well…eventually, if you can’t beat em join em type strategy. I’m not sure even that strategy will work either, why would a camera salesperson on the frontline recommend a Sony imitation over the real thing from Nikon or Canon?
Not only that, why would existing A-mount users see any advantage in staying with that mount when there is no longer any practical advantage/difference with using Sony but possible disadvantages, (EVF vs. OVF debate for example) including an uncertain future for ones expensive screw drive G or Zeiss lens collection.
When it comes to the EVF vs. OVF debate (for what it’s worth) the main issue that has a bearing on which is more desirable for photographers has not been included in the discussion…so far. The issue is sensor dynamic range; if the DR of the sensor was improved (instead of concentrating on adding more megapixels) then the advantages of the EVF would diminish because the OVF would become more wysiwyg than it is now, of course the EVF could become more wysiwyg as well potentially, IF the technical attributes of the viewfinder device was up to the task that is, and able to match the improved DR of the sensor without affecting any other aspects of it’s performance.
Greg
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

I thought that reviews of the 50/1.8 were pretty good?
Last 1 that I read said that it was better than the A-mount 50/1.4 .
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Mark,

I agree with you. Sony should get to developing reasonably prices and sized primes for the Nex. I'm waiting for Sigma to release the new DN-line lenses for E-mount. Although I try to avoid Sigma lenses due to the inconsistency between batches, the fact that they are the first to bring a small, lightweight and cheap 50 equivalent prime to the NEX is a real plus for me. The Sony 16 pancake was a nice lens, although my copy had a gritty focusring. The 30/3.5 macro is slow and the 50 an odd length for APS-C. The CZ24 is too big and expensive.

Sigma is bringing a 19mm and 30mm to NEX in april and I will be one of the first to buy them when they do come out.

Mark

Mark
mvanrheenen

Just read on SAR that Samyang will be producing their first AF lenses for the NEX system! That's good news, although it's along wait untill 2013...
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I think my worries for Sony are justified from their market share. Year 2010 marked the victory Sony's success but looking at 2011, you will not be surprised to find Sony's market share is falling.
I am very fedup with Sony's continuous flooding the market with lower end dSLR/SLT bodies. Why a smaller company like Olympus, Panasonic can produce many more lenses than Sony does.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Btw, Panasonic is not smaller, and Olympus optics is much larger than the corresponding parts of Sony...
mvanrheenen

Just ordered the Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN for NEX. The first reviews that popped up showed pretty good a platicky but sturdy lens, with quiet and reasonably fast focus action, good corner to corner sharpness, little flaring and good CA control stopped down (not so much wide open). Seeing as the lens is pretty small and light I hope it will contribute to my pocket NEX wish.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Looks interesting - let us know how you get on Mark :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

I will Birma. I expect it to arrive today.

Mark
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

mvanrheenen wrote:I will Birma. I expect it to arrive today.

Mark
Is the Sigma 30mm equipped with anti-shake?
mvanrheenen

No, it does not.

Mark
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

Well coming from Olympus to Sony I can tell you first hand Olympus has a ton of m4/3rd lenses and not one stands in the grade of their HG glass much less the SHG glass. I never warmed up to the m4/3rd cameras due in part to this fact. The image quality of the NEX camera system smokes the Pens. Olympus DXO marks have been hoovering in the mid 50 range with no improvement in years. Their fix to IQ was a thinner AA filter and new processor without any sensor development to speak of. I think the Pens are more aimed at the casual shooter and not the more serious ones, me for one. I think the CZ 24mm is a wonderful prime. I am sure there will be more to come later. But to me the increase in dynamic range and color depth of the Sony cameras are worth not having a market full of glass. Olympus has nothing to compete with the CZ 24 mm.
For years I had flaring issues with Olympus cameras and always blamed it on my Cokin filters. I am now shooting Sony without flaring problems and the same filters. If you are a casual shooter and you want a ton of glass to carry around then Olympus may be appealing. But to me the buck stops with image quality and there is more to that than low noise at high ISO. I am in love with the dynamic range I have now. I thought I just didn't know how to take a picture.
I had rather have great image quality rather than a bag full of glass, any day.
The OM-5 is priced right up there with the NEX 7. If the new Olympus cameras DXO marks don't make a big jump with the new camera I am going to be very disappointed. To me it's a no brainer, DXO mark of 56 or 78? From what example shots I have seen with the new OM-5 I see no improvement in dynamic range. I always stuggled to keep the highlights under control with Olympus. Even the E5 only scores in the mid 50s. I don't get all the excitment about m4/3rd. Thier Pens handle more like toys, difficult to operate. I just don't get it.
You are lucky Sony is still making consumer DSLRs. Olympus abandoned that market and is the reason I am here.
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

mvanrheenen wrote:No, it does not.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. I suppose with an effective focal length of 45mm it's not that high a priority and the reviews have been good and the price is certainly attractive.

I finally have the NEX-7 in hand and so far only have the 18-55 so I am looking around at possibilities for for further glass. The 18-55 is pretty good while not quite up to my CZ16-80 standards, I think it will work during the transition for long hikes. I think the NEX is a turning point in my long camera history if we can just get some lenses for it.

Ed
mvanrheenen

edrice wrote:Thanks, Mark. I suppose with an effective focal length of 45mm it's not that high a priority and the reviews have been good and the price is certainly attractive.
OSS can be handy on this focal length when shooting at low shutter speeds. For what I use the NEX for, that doesn't happen too often and if it does, I'll use some kind of support or bump up ISO's. ISO1600 on my 'old' NEX3 still gives excellent IQ when not cropping. So, for me, OSS on this focal length is no must.

@cosmonaut1959: I share your feelings of the Olympus MFT camera's. However, they do have some great lens options for that system. My girlfriend uses a PEN-EPL1 and although I don't like the camera for handling, speed and noise, the Olympus ZUIKO f/2 50mm Macro she uses is better than anything Sony has to offer IMHO. Also, the small, well built MFT primes are everything Sony does not offer. In a perfect world, we have the NEX camera quality with the Olympus MFT lens collection. I'll keep dreaming for now and hope some manufacturer will expand the NEX collection of lenses. For me, Sigma did well with the 30mm.

Mark