Beercan 70-210mm versus Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Beercan 70-210mm versus Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS

Unread post by pakodominguez »

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/p ... 0200g.html
and
http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-introdu ... nt-lenses/
G Lens 70-200mm F4 OSS Telephoto Zoom Lens (model SEL70200G)

The new premium 70-200mm G Lens covers a generous zoom range of 70-200mm and is an ideal choice for travel photography and long-range shooting.

The innovative optical design of the new zoom reflects its G Lens pedigree. Two ED glass elements are combined with three aspherical elements for high resolution and contrast throughout the entire zoom range, minimizing distortion and color aberration.

Like the new Carl Zeiss prime lenses, the 70-200mm G model has a circular aperture that enables smooth, professional quality background defocus, and maintains a constant F4 maximum aperture for plenty of brightness at all zoom settings. It also features Optical SteadyShot to cut the effects of camera shake while shooting.
•Pricing and availability for the new G Lens 70-200mm F4 OSS Telephoto zoom is still TBD.

E mount
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

As this thread has reared up again. I've had a chance to try the Canon 70-200mm f4 L (non IS) it seems quite good from what I can tell, I did not have a chance to put it head to head v a beercan. These f4 lenses are more manageable than their f2.8 equivalents from a size weight perspective. The Canon user I nudged them in the direction of the f4 non IS, as the cost of the f4 IS is as much as the f2.8 non IS (can't see the point of that, I'd go f2.8 non IS everyday at that price)

I'm not sure how much demand there is for an E mount 70-200mm f4, they surely picked the wrong mount for that lens.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Pako. I obviously hadn't read far enough down the announcements. It sounds nice. I'm still waiting to see what happens on A mount though before jumping in to FE. I'm looking forward to seeing more about all of these lenses as they come on to the market.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

70-210 f4 is the best at this range I have ever had.....comparing to my 2 copies of 70-210 f3.5-4.5, Sigma 70-300 f5.6 super macro...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Excellent article about the variation in various copies of the same lens.

Things You Didn’t Want to Know About Zoom Lenses

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/0 ... om-lenses/

I found the article because it was mentioned here:

A 'Must Read' for the Weekend

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... index.html
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Yes, thats a great article, Henry. Most things that the Lens Rental guys put out is interesting. Not many people see so many copies of a single lens.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:I still have my old beercan, still looks almost new, that I bought in 1997 so maybe I'll hold on to it. :) I have to wonder though if mine is as good as yours? I recall that you have mentioned several times about how you have owned various lenses, sold ones that were not as good, kept the best ones, sometimes found another copy that was better than your best and kept it, etc. So, I would guess that your beercan is the best of the best you have found over the years so there is a good chance mine is not as good as yours. I recall that the last time I used it in 2008 with my A700 I was getting quite a lot of CA in some situations. I wonder how the Canon lens would perform if the same was done, i.e., get several copies and then choose the best one?
Andy, unfortunately, all copies of a lens are not identical. We all wish they were, of course. I don't test mine, I just use them. Since switching to digital I have bought 19 designed for digital lenses (m4/3, Sony A-mount, Canon) and all except one was satisfactory in use, I thought. The one unsatisfactory lens had an obvious AF problem though so I sent it to the service center and they sent it back in a week fixed. I suppose if all of my lenses were subjected to serious bench testing then I may learn things I don't want to know. :lol: In use I am satisfied. When I am traveling I mostly use zooms, but in the last couple of years when I am not traveling I use primes mostly on my Olympus PEN-F and E-M10II.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Only really had a couple of lenses I wasn't happy with and I simply returned them swapped out etc. Best way to go be it s/h or new if I bought a dodgy ebay lens I'd send it back (ie really bad)

Article has some merit though more extreme than sample variations I've experienced. Lenses like the beercan need bang on focus if it's just a touch off you'll see problems same for any lens of that type. A friend had a sigma UWA lens swore blind it was hopeless reality was the AF was miles off lens was pretty much as expected ie pretty good.

Link shows Canon 6d might be killed? Shocker 4 year old camera :D