Technical Lens stabilization question

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Technical Lens stabilization question

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Sony NEX has a 50 1.8 prime with OSS.

Question - if I got the Zeiss 24 1.8 for NEX, which does not have any stabilization, since a 1.8 lens is a fast lens, could I consider just having the 1.8 lens stabilization in its own right, because it's so fast, i.e. not worrying if the image will have optical stabilized effect in the viewfinder, what comparable aperture in a lens with OSS would be the equivalent to the Zeiss 24 1.8?

Would it be a 2.8 lens with OSS?
Would it be a 3.5 lens with OSS?

Thanks, as the answer might influence whether I get this lens...
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Re: Technical Lens stabilization question

Unread post by Heidfirst »

The 24mm is roughly half the focal length of a 50mm so that is probably worth about a stop over a 50mm at the same aperture but I would expect the OSS to be worth 3-4 stops ...

To me though if you were choosing between those 2 you should be choosing based on focal length for the type of photography that you do i.e. is the 50mm not wide enough or is the 24mm too wide?
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Thanks, I agree with you, but the reasoning behind my question is solely based on going down a list of pros and cons for whether or not to buy a lens, especially when it's $1000. It was really just a technical question, so you're saying if the Zeiss had OSS, it would be 3 to 4 stops...

My main question is, if this is the highest quality native e-mount lens available, for say landscape photography, is it worth getting it - will it really be that much better than my kit lens on the NEX 7, which I thought performed well.

I'm primarily a landscape photographer, and I heard that you can focus closely on subjects with the Zeiss too, and 36mm equivalent is a nice compromise of a focal length if you could only have one for landscapes...
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Most likely, Zeiss won't ever allow OSS in their designs. Floating optic elements are too detrimental to image quality in general.
But it really depends on the quality of implementation - cheaper/older OS designs as found in most Canon lenses and/or in the SEL 18-55 may ruin even the image centre with bad blur and CA, the better/newer designs as found in SEL 18-200 and in all OS Sigmas may give you some blurry corner or two.

But anyway, I always switch OS off if I really need quality over convenience/snappiness.