Sigma 19 and 30 2.8's for e mount - loose materials inside?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Sigma 19 and 30 2.8's for e mount - loose materials inside?

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Hello,

As a possible new owner of these two lenses to be used with NEX 7, could someone provide any insights into the moving parts inside these lenses, once they are not activated by the NEX cameras? i.e. I keep hearing that when you shake the lens in you hands, it feels and sounds that something's loose inside.

Question - is this design in any way less stable/robust than lenses that don't use this design, 5, 10 years down the road?

Thank you for any input on this, as it's really just a build quality type question on these lenses from Sigma, and if it's anything to consider.

Dave
mvanrheenen

Re: Sigma 19 and 30 2.8's for e mount - loose materials insi

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I own both lenses. The loose elements are mentioned in the manual, don't recall what it says about it though. I do not think it is something to worry about.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I suppose it is normal for these lenses. They are always sitting out along with many other lenses at the big camera stores here in Tokyo so I have picked them up from time to time at various stores and mounted them on my camera to take a few photos. Every one I have picked up has had something heavy moving inside. I can feel a small klunk if I turn one over in my hand. I don't shake them. :lol: I don't recall in 40 years of handling lenses ever seeing this before though. I can't imagine what heavy thing is inside that moves around.
mvanrheenen

Me neither, but if Sigma mentions it in the manual...

I looked it up, the manual for both lenses state 'If the lens is detachedfrom camera or the camera power is turned off, the lens may emit a chattering nosise, but this is nt a malfunction.'
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mvanrheenen wrote:I looked it up, the manual for both lenses state 'If the lens is detachedfrom camera or the camera power is turned off, the lens may emit a chattering nosise, but this is nt a malfunction.'
The ones I have held had nothing like a chattering noise, just a soft klunk and you could feel something heavy inside move if you turned the lens over. I wonder if there are actually 2 noises and they don't mention the one I hear and feel? I haven't heard the chattering noise, but I will try to remember to check next time.
mvanrheenen

You're right, although I have the feeling maybe what Sigma really meant is lost in translation of the original Asian manual. The Dutch section of the manual just states 'a sound'. There's nothing to describe the kind of sound.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Not exactly a confidence booster, is it? Especially in the light of Sigma's well known quality variability. This sort of thing really beats me. It surely can't be difficult to ensure consistent quality can it? Costs money, ofcourse, so maybe they are simply cutting costs to the bone to bring prices down. I should love to buy several Sigma lenses but I'm never confident enough to do it when all the reviews end with the disclaimer "if you get a good copy". Real shame because, unlike some people, I simply cannot be bothered to keep on replacing lenses which don't match up. Not to forget the fact that I always buy mine from discount suppliers on the netwhich makes it harder to do.
mvanrheenen

Found this tidbit about the loose elements:

The Sigma 30 mm EX DN is fitted with a linear autofocus motor, which drives the lens elements directly without gears. This ensures accurate and silent autofocus, which is pleasant when both photographing and filming. Feature of this design is that the internal lenses are loose. If you listen carefully, you can hear it when you shake the lens while it is not connected to a camera.

I personally don't really care about this. The fact that they mentioned it in the manual and I have what? 5 years of guarantee? It's all I need to know. If the loose elements ( or whatever it is) really do lead to problems with the lenses, I'm sure someone/I will run into it before my guarantee runs out.

If we're talking G or CZ type lenses in priceranges well beyond $/€/£1000 I would be worried too, but these lenses were <$/€/£200 or so. I know it's a lot of money for some, but for what I use it for I really don't worry about it too much.

Mark
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I've had quite a few Sigmas starting from early 2008. Never encountered inconsistent quality with them. Though I must say, I bought and tried mostly the EX Sigmas.
The non-EXs were the 18-250 OS HSM that was perfectly fine, and the original screwdrive 17-70 that had a systematic by-design focus shift.

Tamron is another story - never two nearly identical copies even with the 'premium' quality items.

But the worst is definitely the Sony with their SEL 16f28. The rare gems have to be literally dug off a pile of regular 'quality' manure.
mvanrheenen

agorabasta wrote:I've had quite a few Sigmas starting from early 2008. Never encountered inconsistent quality with them.
I have. Had two 30 1.4's which both had the same focusissues. One had a rattling focusring to boot! Returned them both.

Although this was a bad experience, I still think Sigma makes some great lenses.

Mark
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Mark,

That particular lens design was made as HSM for all mounts but Sony and Pentax. And seems like they really went too cheap 'adapting' it for such a small market.

These days Sigma does not strip HSM from new designs for any mount. But now they started removing OS from Sony/Pentax versions of the new designs.
So far, they removed OS from 17-50 and 17-70 lenses which is mostly no problem as in-body IS works better in those ranges. Let's see if they keep OS for the telephoto range designs...