Sigma 150mm macro OS vs non-OS

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Sigma 150mm macro OS vs non-OS

Unread post by Mark K »

After months of waiting, I finally narrow my choices to Sigma. I come to notice that there is an HSM version for Canon/Nikon, but the latest HSM with OS is also available for Sony
My questions are
1. Is the latest OS version significantly better than the HSM one? The price difference is huge.
2. How does OS operate in Sony's bodies which have sensor based stabilization?
3. How does the Sigma 150mm do comparing to the 180/3.5 sibling?
4. Is there any point to look for an used Minolta 200/4 or a new Nikon 200/4 macro? I always have the feeling these two lenses are identical.
mvanrheenen

Re: Sigma 150mm macro OS vs non-OS

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I don't have the answers you're looking for, but consider the need for OS. If your going to use the lens for macro photography, you're probably using a tripod. It's a good idea not to use SSS or OS when using a tripod, as the stabilisation can cause motion blur in this situation.

Mark
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

mvanrheenen wrote:I don't have the answers you're looking for, but consider the need for OS. If your going to use the lens for macro photography, you're probably using a tripod. It's a good idea not to use SSS or OS when using a tripod, as the stabilisation can cause motion blur in this situation.

Mark
Thank you....
Just wonder how Sony did not replicate the marvellous Minolta 200/4. Years ago when I decided to buy one, the price was increased from 800USD to 1100 USD so I was quite angry....and now even the 2nd hand price goes well beyond 2000USD :mrgreen:

BTW, shooting in the wild there are many occasions I need to shoot handheld.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sigma does, of course, have a new 180mm OS macro which is said - and looks from a brief try at Focus on Imaging - to be a much better updated version of the 200mm format.

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Thank you David.
The newer 180 mm from Sigma is considerably heavier...and I will consider the weight before making my decision. Meanwhile Sigma 150 works perfectly with 1.4x making it one great macro lens at 315mm at F4.... :mrgreen: