Hoya HRT vs Tiffen DHT Polarizers?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Hoya HRT vs Tiffen DHT Polarizers?

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

With very little knowledge of Polarizers and their quality - could anyone provide some insight on this question:

If my concern is over how you lose a certain amount of light hitting the sensor due to the Polarizing filter, is there a difference in this regard between Hoya's HRT (High Rate Transparency) and Tiffen's DHT (Digital High Transmission) filters?

i.e. is "HRT" vs "DHT" an apples to oranges comparison, where one is for allowing more light to hit the sensor (HRT) and the other is for transmitting more non-reflected light?

Please correct me if wrong here!!! I'm mainly interested in which filter allows more light to hit the sensor fully polarized.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Hoya HRT vs Tiffen DHT Polarizers?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I don't know what the Tiffen one is, but I used the Hoya and it only loses one stop of light not the usual 1.5 to 2 stops, and the density difference is clearly visible. I'd trust Hoya over Tiffen any day - they sell far too many cheap nasty products at inflated prices, even if they do have some decent ones. Hoya don't sell any 'charlatan grade' produce like Tiffen do, and they clearly label their economy range versus their midrange versus their pro.

What Hoya does do is to sell slightly inferior grade filters through Kenko and Marumi, both of which are brands of Hoya. Don't ever buy Kenko. I did, thinking it was bound to be the same just not paying the brand name. Not so, the Kenko UV and polarisers I have had turned out to be sufficiently bad to cause patches of lost focus.

David
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Re: Hoya HRT vs Tiffen DHT Polarizers?

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Thanks David,

I would therefore assume that Hoya is the only maker that allows the most light through their polarizers then, that we know of, and of a high level of quality make, that is...

Dave