Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ralpheyesight
Initiate

Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270

Unread post by Ralpheyesight »

Having recently dropped into a puddle of clay water my Tamron 18-250 it is now described as Beyond Economical Repair. Therefore I have had many considerations to make. Do I purchase the replacement Tamron or Sigma. Then having read David's report on the beer can 70-210 put me in a quandary should I purchase one of these and a short zoom.
I am always looking to reduce weight a little and have eyed up the NEX7 but I cant warrant one plus lenses at present.

Therefore which is the better Tamron or Sigma. I do like the one zoom approach ,which I realise is a compromise but then they have to be made for versatility sometimes. I currently use an Alpha 580.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sigma 18-250mm definitely. It is very compatible with our 580 - accurate exposure and focus - and has proved much better all round than the Tamron 18-250. Also, Shirley switches SSS off in the camera and uses the lens's OS instead. The steady view is excellent as you get up beyond 150mm, and really helps composition.

David
Ralpheyesight
Initiate

Re: Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270

Unread post by Ralpheyesight »

Thank you David. I take note. Now waiting for insurance company to agree. they want to see lens even though I have a report from Into2020! I think they think I am trying to fiddle them as I made a claim three years ago.