Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro

Unread post by digitalhecht »

This is driving me nuts. I bought this lens months ago for my A65. I didn't try to use it til yesterday. (Though presumably I fired off a few shots when I first got it to make sure it worked.) I cannot get it to fire no matter what mode I use, and Release without Lens is enabled. Not only that, the whole menu system becomes sluggish or completely unresponsive after mounting this lens. Any ideas?
mvanrheenen

Re: Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Are you sure this lens is compatible with SLT camera's? Sigma has put out an advisory notice about this stating:
After thorough investigation, we have ascertained that auto focusing does not work properly when some Sony fitting Sigma lenses are used with Sony a77 and a65 interchangeable lens digital cameras. To overcome this, we will be supplying a free update to our customers. This phenomenon will only occur with the combination of any lenses listed below and the Sonya77 or a65. Future production of Sigma lenses for Sony fitting will be fully compatible with these cameras.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.
digitalhecht
Acolyte

mvanrheenen wrote:Are you sure this lens is compatible with SLT camera's? Sigma has put out an advisory notice about this stating:
After thorough investigation, we have ascertained that auto focusing does not work properly when some Sony fitting Sigma lenses are used with Sony a77 and a65 interchangeable lens digital cameras. To overcome this, we will be supplying a free update to our customers. This phenomenon will only occur with the combination of any lenses listed below and the Sonya77 or a65. Future production of Sigma lenses for Sony fitting will be fully compatible with these cameras.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.
Thanks for your reply, mvanrheenen. I couldn't find my lens on the list of known offenders on the Sigma website. Besides the recognized issue seems to be related ONLY to autofocus issues. As you can see in my original post, the problems I am having go way beyond autofocus issues. The bottom line is, I cannot take a single photo with this lens under ANY settings. At this point, I am tempted to sell it on eBay, but can't in good conscience yet as I don't know for sure whther the lens is somehow otherwise defective.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

digitalhecht wrote:As you can see in my original post, the problems I am having go way beyond autofocus issues. The bottom line is, I cannot take a single photo with this lens under ANY settings. At this point, I am tempted to sell it on eBay, but can't in good conscience yet as I don't know for sure whther the lens is somehow otherwise defective.
You might contact Sigma on this subject and explain the situation. I have heard stories of Sigma providing product support on occasion for items that were officially out of warranty. Worst case scenario is that they do nothing.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Thanks, Tom. That was my next course of action. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I have this lens with EF mount, partly because of previous 50/2.5's sluggish and noisy AF. Well this is the same despite its known great optical performance. I eventually let the the lens go to my friend. However, I had not uncounted any incompatibility issues...on EF system. Recently acquired of the Sigma 70-200/2.8 DG OS works perfectly on my A77 and can replace the role of 70-210/4
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Well despite being identified as a "grey market item" on the accompanying work order, they fixed it free of charge! Works like a charm now. Said they replaced the flange (?) There IS still good in the world. Thank you, Sigma!