sigma 8-16mm filter question

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bluemoo73
Acolyte

sigma 8-16mm filter question

Unread post by bluemoo73 »

Hi guys

Just a quick question

Many many years ago I have a wide angle prime (i think it was a nikon 16mm fisheye) and it had a little square neutral density and red filters that you put a that rear of the lens. Is there that option with the sigma 8-16mm?

cheers
johnstra
Heirophant

Re: sigma 8-16mm filter question

Unread post by johnstra »

I have bought the Sigma 8-16mm. It is an excellent lens but no, unfortunately there is no front or rear filter mount.

Best regards,

Bob
Bob Johnston
bluemoo73
Acolyte

Unread post by bluemoo73 »

aldiborontiphosciphornicate :-(

i do a lot of long exposure photography around sunset and sunrise and have enjoyed using ND filters to get exposures extra long
guess i will have to look at other solutions

thanks for your assistance Bob

cheers
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Bluemoon - if you got a big enough square filter (e.g. Cokin Pro or Z-Pro size) perhaps you could jury-rigg something up? I've seen people use blue-tac to hold square filters in front of lenses (obviously out of the field of view!). When using the UWA and Fish-eye adapters for the Nex 16/2.8 I have hand held filters in front of the lens - but not for very long exposures.

Lee filters make a special adapter (SW150 System) for the Nikon 14-24 UWA lens which has a bulbous front element. The video here may give you some ideas http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/cam ... d-videobox - see the SW150 System link.

I keep thinking about treating myself to a Lee starter set, but I must admit that since getting Lightroom I use filters much less.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.