Sigma 35/1.4 is the best?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Sigma 35/1.4 is the best?

Unread post by Dusty »

According to DXOMark, the new Sigma 35/1.4 is the best lens out there, beating the Zeiss and Nikon G.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Public ... omparisons

Of course, this is in combination w/ the D800 sensor, so don't get all upset that they're not comparing it to Leica and whatnot.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sigma 35/1.4 is the best?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David mentioned somewhere about this lens as being outstanding. But still, it's a Sigma, which means very cheap and breakable mechanics, imo.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting. I was only reading this review of that lens here http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=o ... est_ob=359 last night.

Doc, do you think perhaps that Sigma are improving their QC with their recent lenses? Their 1.4 primes certainly seem to be getting good reviews.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Birma wrote:Doc, do you think perhaps that Sigma are improving their QC with their recent lenses? Their 1.4 primes certainly seem to be getting good reviews.
I read QC is getting better and better. I've seen Canikon wedding photographers switching from Canikon 35-50-85 combos to Sigma's.

I read something about the 35/1.4 having an USB-dock so you can tune it through your computer. Don't know the details, but that sounds like a great feature if it supports things like in lens calibration.

Mark
Dr. Harout

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

These new Sigmas really break completely with the past construction and optical QC. I've seen the USB system in use. It is pretty amazing. With zooms you can program the lens for AF calibration at multiple distances and focal lengths and apertures, using a special target and a PC program. The lens then becomes matched to the body over a set of dozens of shooting parameters.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi David, do you know if the Sigma lens tuning works on Sony Alphas?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Ah. I think that I have answered my own question. I was thinking that the lens dock had to be connected to the camera but this does not appear to be the case. So I assume you would check the lens on camera against the focus target, then dismount the lens, attach it to the USB Doc (which doesn't attach to the camera) and apply the AF tune via the pc/mac. You'd then need to reattach the lens to the camerato check if the adjustment was ok I guess.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You use their target to make the tests, and enter the results in a program with the dock on the lens - but not on the camera,

The calibration is specific to the camera, of course.

David
Dr. Harout

I would like to know how it behaves on the a99. Not only quality wise but also technically, i.e., would the lens be recognized by the camera and all settings (AF calibration) remain so, and not "fooled" by another lens (of similar ID perhaps).

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks DK.

One to watch I think. I will be waiting to see some more real world experience, but it looks interesting.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Dr. Harout wrote:I would like to know how it behaves on the a99. Not only quality wise but also technically, i.e., would the lens be recognized by the camera and all settings (AF calibration) remain so, and not "fooled" by another lens (of similar ID perhaps).
Sony bodies do not recognise long lens ID's so the body will remain well 'fooled' as long as short parts of ID's coincide.

But if the in-lens adjustment latitude is large enough to counteract the wrong adjustments stored in-body for some other lens, the whole procedure should still work as designed.
Dr. Harout

Thanks Agorabasta.
This complicates the situation. I have to add this too to my wish list then. :evil:

Flickr
marc pk
Acolyte

Unread post by marc pk »

I've had the Sigma 35 1.4 since early June and it has become my favorite prime lens. I keep it mounted on an a99. In truth, I have no Sony prime lens so I can only compare it to my various Minolta "prime" equipment (20mm, 28mm, 50 1.8, 85 G).
I also have had no back focusing issues with it (it is calibrated to "0").
I find it solid and comfortable. It is not waterproof, but had no problems recently when it did take some rain.
The colors are deep and very nice; probably a tad deeper than the Minolta lens.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Bought the lens for two days....amazed by its,,craftsmanship, even better than my...Nikon G, Canon L, ..Sony... and there comes the sharpnessImage