Pro Camera Shop UK ?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mark111
Initiate

Pro Camera Shop UK ?

Unread post by mark111 »

Is this deal too good to be genuine, are they a trustworthy dealer ? Has anyone used them

http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/sigma-15 ... mount.html
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Pro Camera Shop UK ?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Never heard of them. A quick web search seemed to suggest it's a Hong Kong operation with a registered UK address.
They have good ratings on trust pilot, and I found this...
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50027880

I use onestop digital for the odd lens purchase, and can recommend them without any hesitation. They do reimburse any VAT or customs charges, they will pick up any items for no charge under warranty, had one replacement lens off them.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I could be wrong, but I suspected One stop digital were a Hong Kong based supplier and registered in the Channel Islands. I have bought quite a few bits from this company over the last couple of years with good service.
bfitzgerald

OSD are def Honk Kong based, and the products come from there too (that's what the courier packages say)
I'm not sure about this outfit, I know some companies are importing to Europe and dispatching from there.

The way OSD works is they pretty much take a gamble that xyz % of stuff is going to get through customs, on some items they will get caught and hit for import duties and VAT, either way you're ok because they pay the costs anyway. I've not bought any grey market cameras from them. But on some lenses there are significant savings.
Mostly for Sigma and Tamron lenses on A Mount, though they have recently started selling the 70-300mm G for about £100 less than UK retail.

They have been price cutting on some Tamron's lately the 90mm (older version) costs a mere £230, if you buy normal UK retail it's £370 odd, that's a big difference in price. Even the 17-50mm £220 odd v over £300 (for the A mount version) UK price.

You can add an additional warranty over the 1 year if you wish. Personally I can't see how there can be such a big price difference esp on the 90mm macro lens or other lenses. In some cases the price difference isn't that much, so it's questionable if it's worth doing. For bargain hunters it's a pretty safe bet IMO.
mark111
Initiate

Unread post by mark111 »

Thanks guys
mark111
Initiate

Unread post by mark111 »

Out of curiosity what is a " Grey Lens " I have read people talk about this on a lot of imports
bfitzgerald

Grey market bottom line if I buy a Tamron from Hong Kong, Tamron Europe won't entertain the warranty. So I have to deal with the seller. I assume Sigma are the same I'm pretty sure Nikon is the same, but not sure about Sony (body wise) or Canon.
That's why Tamron have been offering longer warranty periods for European buyers 5 years I believe.

http://www.tamron.eu/uk/service/buying- ... ports.html

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/impor ... a-products

My take is fine offer a longer warranty, but the price difference is too much. So I say "go to hell" ;-) OSD also offer an extended multi year warranty for not that much cost. Though I don't usually bother, not had a screw drive lens fail yet and you've your one year normal seller warranty to cover you. I'd also point out that these "grey market" lenses roll off the same production lines the EU ones do, so I'm not buying their take here. Also the fungus stuff..well bar the odd rogue seller I can safely say every lens I got was def brand new no fungus! It's just scare tactics to try to put people off buying the same product for a better price.

Both Sigma and Tamron can give better deals to EU buyers, then we'd not bother with grey market lenses.
mark111
Initiate

Unread post by mark111 »

Thanks for clearing that up, iam pretty sure if it went t**s up its a case of it could happen to the EU ones as well but im not one for the warranty card anyway as I have had a couple of bad experiences from UK sellers. I think I will go and look and if I get my skates on it could hopefully be here in time for Waddo.

Thanks again
mark111
Initiate

Unread post by mark111 »

Thanks for clearing that up, iam pretty sure if it went t**s up its a case of it could happen to the EU ones as well but im not one for the warranty card anyway as I have had a couple of bad experiences from UK sellers. I think I will go and look and if I get my skates on it could hopefully be here in time for Waddo.

Thanks again
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

Terms and conditions
Force majeure
ProCameraShop accepts no liability for any failure to deliver, delay, damage or defect to goods caused by any event or circumstance beyond its reasonable control.
So the courier drops your camera and what happens? You have a battle against the unenforceable T&Cs?
bfitzgerald

I suppose you have a claim against the courier who obviously is insured.
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

I have bought quite a lot from them over the past 18 months , including a 35mm 1.8 emount and a nex6 absolutely no problems and first class delivery/service, they are based in Cumbria I think.

their prices are sometimes just unbelievable, so much so that it's my first port of call when buying something,whereas the past 10 years has been all hong kong, also never had a problem there either and saved a small fortune on uk prices and generally it was delivered within 3 days
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

I've not been able to get onto their website for a couple of days now, anybody noticed any problems, was looking to buy the hvl f20m, flash unit
bfitzgerald

Site was down when I tried tonight, which is a worrying sign. Maybe it's a technical problem or it could have been shut down.
bestfriend

Unread post by bestfriend »

Very interesting factory tour and great commercial pictures, I wonder if they were taken through a Sigma lens. I guess Ta