Full Frame UWA choices

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Full Frame UWA choices

Unread post by Birma »

I've been shooting for a few months now with the A99 and my initial lens line-up has a had a good work-out now.

The SAL 28-75 is fabulous - that's a keeper.

The Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro is a real surprise - in a good way :) . Still wondering if a 70-200/2.8, or even the SAL 70-400 might be a replacement down the road at some point.

Tamron 90 is faultless from an image pov, but the AF to MF switching is sometimes bothersome and requires the remounting of the lens to sort things out. Still, no immediate plans to replace.

The KM 17-35 f/2.8-4 (D) however is a tiny bit of a disappointment. Perhaps I am expecting too much from an UWA. Corner sharpness and to a lesser degree CA are my main issues.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the forum members. Nothing very fast required - it will probably live at f/8 to f/11. I have found 20mm and 24 mm both ideal focal lengths for me.

I think that DK has recommended the Sigma 12-24 (both versions). This doesn't appear to be at its best at the long end, but is it better than the KM 17-35? I may miss filters a bit with this lens, but I've found they are quite hit and miss on UWs anyway

Perhaps go for primes? There is the SAL 20/2.8, but that gets so-so reviews. The Sony CZ 24 looks stellar with good corners, but is not really UW. Samyang 24? I hardly ever use AF on the A99 so this may be an option. Is it as good as the CZ in the corners?

I never hear much love for the CZ 16-35, and it is a monster price.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Full Frame UWA choices

Unread post by pakodominguez »

In my experience, the KM 17-35 performs better than the Minolta 20mm f2.8 (I don't know if the Sony version performs better...) There is a (big) Sigma 24mm f1.8 that probably works better, since it is a newer design.
I use the 17-35 every time I need an UWA, and I think it performs OK at f11. I recall DK quickly testing the ZA 16-35 and he was not impressed by it (specially for its price).
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You need to take the 17-35mm down to f11 or even f13 at the 17mm mark for those corners to tighten up (also depends how close you are to the subject)
Not used the 20mm f2.8, have the 24mm f2.8 and that's decent but like most UWA lenses needs stopping right down for corner performance to be good. From what I've seen the CZ 24mm isn't any better bar being faster
Can't really comment on other full frame ultra wides, I think the general consensus is Sigma do some decent UWA options there. Heard decent things about the Samyang 14mm prime too.

28-75mm is a re-badged Tamron and is generally well liked by most (hard to beat for the price)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you for your thoughts Pako and Barry :) . I will certainly try the 17-35 stopped down further than f/8 in future.
marc pk
Acolyte

Unread post by marc pk »

Since June I have extensively been using Sigma's new 35mm f:1.4 DG HSM on my a99... Quite amazing. Expensive, yes, but less so than Sony's equivalent. It is not water resistant and I had a recent scare when caught in a down-pour; nothing happened and it works fine!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the feedback Marc - that Sigma 35 does look like a great lens :) . I am looking for something wider though; around 20mm would be ideal.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

DK wrote an article for BJP on wide angle lenses http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journ ... ses-tested which is interesting, it was written three years ago now though.
I had a search for digital A-mount FF wide zooms and I couldn’t find one which reviews said was outstanding in all departments, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one of course, I just didn’t find one.
Greg
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

birma
I use a KM 17-35 F/2.8 D lens [its a re badged Tamron], Barry's right to a point, it needs stopping down to bring the edges in, I found F/5.6 to F/11 with F/8 being a good working aperture. On my cropped A37, the pics are pretty well detailed all over around these F/stops. What I did find was the next to useless supplied lens hood, I got a 77mm ultra wide screw in rubber lens hood and pictures seem to have improved from the reduction of flare which the supplied hood seemed to let through.

Read Kurt Mungers review of this lens, he doesn't over state the lens, just tells you the good bits and the bad bits with a summary saying it was pretty good for the money. He always gives you an alternative at the summing up but then he does that for the very high end lenses as well.
Also read the users reviews in 'SLR Gear', I tend to take more notice of these than review sites.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I am more of a prime user. I hate zooms, though irreplaceable when traveling, but for me the ZA 2/24 is my most cherished lens. I don't think I'll go wider.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Once you go wide it can be quite addictive.
Ultra wide can be fun at times, it's also pretty challenging
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for that link Greg - I'd not seen that before. I don't think there are many new lenses in this range since that article was written.

Thanks also for the hood tip CC. I will look into that.

I have been thinking of your 24mm Doc :)
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

This is a good one....insanely less expensiveImage
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice picture Mark, but which lens ? :)
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Samyang 14mm f2.8
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I would like to second the Samyang 14/2.8. For the price, it's a stellar performer! The distortion is rather complex, but can easily be handled by software correction profiles. I used PTLens when I had this lens. Only thing you should consider is that it's an MF lens without contacts to your camera (so no lens info in EXIF) and there is no filter thread.

Mark