Carl Zeiss/Sony FE lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Carl Zeiss/Sony FE lenses

Unread post by Mark K »

After years of complaining, Sony finally made it right by launching good quality lenses for Nex cameras. The two smallish prime lenses for A7 are just stunning. Small with non compromised image quality. Even the 24-70 f4 feels great.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Carl Zeiss/Sony FE lenses

Unread post by peterottaway »

And many of those same people will keep on complaining. The lenses are not coming fast enough, they are too big, they are too expensive, they are f 4.0 and not f 2.0 or f 2.8 like some of the m43 lenses.

I will reserve judgement especially about the 24 - 70 zoom as they are not that easy to design. Almost all of them have weaknesses, after all even wide angle primes show problems in comparison to 50mm to 100mm lenses. It's just a lot of photographers are prepared to accept the compromises in exchange for their versatility. Most are pretty decent between about 28mm and 60mm but it pays not to expect too much in the extremes.

If you haven't all ready read it I would suggest that you have a look at the Photozone review of the Olympus 12 - 40 as well as the Canon and Nikon FF zooms when comparing comments that various bloggers will publish on the CZ 24 - 70.

On the other hand if Sony can't produce a decent 70 - 200 zoom then they have got problems. Although even here expect performance to fade somewhat as you get to around 200mm.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Some of the points are valid enough 35mm f2.8 isn't exactly fast for a FF prime (try f2 acceptable), 55mm f1.8 is not cheap either but might appeal to some.
We will have to see what the E mount system expands out to cover range wise.

There is a real danger that if Sony are not competitive (on price or lens speed) they might fail to grab those maybe interested Canikon users. Or..what I suspect will happen is most users/buyers might just get an E mount body, adaptor and just use the lenses they have (or other possibly interesting/bargain ebay stock from long dead mounts)

The system part is actually quite important to Sony longer term, just as it is to any other camera maker with a lens mount
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I was the one who has been complaining about the lack of the quality lenses...and here I go....I bought most of the prime/zoom on E mount available to me..last year. There is one issue..the price drops too fast. Even these two excellent FE prime lenses. I was surprised by their quality and also shocked to see my investment drops within one week/or two's time...