Tamron 200-400mm

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Tamron 200-400mm

Unread post by RareTA »

Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has used this Tamron 200-400mm lens? My wife bought me one for Christmas but I have not been able to give it a good workout yet. I have played around with it out the windows of the house. I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers about it.

Thank,
Ken
Attachments
IMGP1758 (Medium) (Small).JPG
(66.22 KiB) Downloaded 3512 times
Camers: a330 & a700

Web Site: HTTP://freiss.co.nr

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Tamron 200-400mm

Unread post by bakubo »

Good luck with the lens. Not sure what kind of tips you want. Play around and shoot with it. You have it on a tripod so that will help. Handheld the IBIS may struggle a bit at 400mm so keep your shutter speed fairly high while handheld.

Is that a Technics turntable? Looks like one. I had 2 over the years. My last one I bought in about 1981, I think. The first one was a belt drive and the second one was a direct drive. Sort of like the distinction between screw-drive AF and USM/SSM AF lenses. :lol: I still have it, but haven't used it since about 1984. Packed away in storage. I saw the box a couple of days ago though. I think I had an Audio-Technica or Pickering cartridge for it. A Shure before that one though. Always used my Discwasher (remember those?) before playing a record. I saw the brown box with the Discwasher a couple of days ago too. Red fluid bottle was empty though.
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

Yes it is a Technics turntable. It sounds great on this system also. I still listen to a lot of vinyl as well as my Reel-Reels. I still have 3 working R-Rs and use them almost everyday. I'm still into 8 tracks also. How many people remember them?

As far as the lens I've read that it works best at f8-f11. I was just wondering if anyone had some knowledge of this lens and what other settings they think it works best at.

classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Rare, I still have my Akai reel to reel and my old ferrograph Reel to reel, but can't get spares any more after Neal took them over.
I still love vinyl, crackles and pops included but it just seems to have that wide dynamic depth you can't hear on CD.

I use a Rega belt drive turntable with an Audio Technica moving coil and Creek amp.
Oh, sorry, it was a lens we were supposed to be taking about.

Pete
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I never even knew about that one, seems to be only so so in the image dept. mores the pity, there are some owner’s opinions of it here. http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/Tam ... ew175.html
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

RareTA wrote:Yes it is a Technics turntable. It sounds great on this system also. I still listen to a lot of vinyl as well as my Reel-Reels. I still have 3 working R-Rs and use them almost everyday. I'm still into 8 tracks also. How many people remember them?
I used to have some 8-track tapes back in the early 1970s, but I thought they were all long gone. Coincidentally, I opened a box of very old stuff yesterday that was stored away and I found one: Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy -- The Who. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaty_Beaty_Big_and_Bouncy
RareTA wrote: Yes it is a Technics turntable. It sounds great on this system also. I still listen to a lot of vinyl
Back in the 1970s and early 1980s I used to buy LPs. I guess I have a few hundred, but they have been packed away in storage for about 30 years so I don't even recall how many I have. I also have over a hundred 45s that I bought before most of the LPs. I also had a couple dozen 8-track tapes and a couple dozen cassette tapes. Then in 1983 I got one of the very first CD players ($1000 in 1983, $2360 in 2014 dollars). From that time until around 1998 I bought over 500 CDs. They are stored away also. I ripped all of them about 10-12 years ago.
RareTA wrote: As far as the lens I've read that it works best at f8-f11. I was just wondering if anyone had some knowledge of this lens and what other settings they think it works best at.
You have the lens. I can think of no one in a better position to see how that particular copy of the lens works than you. Take some photos with it and let us know how it is. :)
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

RareTA wrote:... I'm still into 8 tracks also. How many people remember them?
Remember them? I still have the turntable with build in 8 track player/recorder down in the basement somewhere!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

You should dig out some of that old music and fire up that TT. I did this about 10 years ago and have not looked back. Nothing beats the sound of Led Zepplin on vinyl! Well maybe on the RtR. I'm still waiting for spring to come to North Dakota. When the birds start to come back and the wildlife start to move around more.

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Never knew about this lens, until now.
No idea if it's any good, but I've taken some of my best images on lenses that rate pretty low on dyxum
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I remember when this Tamron 200-400mm came out. I think it was back in the 1990s. Seen them at shops in Tokyo back then. I agree with Barry. Ignore the reviews and try it out for yourself. Some of my best photos are made with lenses that others may not be tickled about.
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

I've googled the lens and come up with a ton of opinions on it. I think most are for it. We are in for another blizzard coming this Sunday and Monday. We have had going on 7 months of winter and it just looks like it's not going to give up easily this year. Should we ever get spring I want to get out and fire this big boy up and see what it can do.

Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

RareTA wrote:I've googled the lens and come up with a ton of opinions on it. I think most are for it. We are in for another blizzard coming this Sunday and Monday. We have had going on 7 months of winter and it just looks like it's not going to give up easily this year. Should we ever get spring I want to get out and fire this big boy up and see what it can do.
Yep! Global Warming.

I'm reading the Little House on the Prairie series to my kids at night, and one of them is called "The Long Winter". But of course what we have today is unprecedented and never happened before! :roll:

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Speaking of Global warming... on Saturday my apricot trees began flowering... on Sunday we had such a blizzard and with snow we haven't seen all through winter.
I am not worried at all that my trees wont feed me with organic apricots, but I really feel sorry and am worried for all those who make a living on farming and harvesting...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

Dr. Harout wrote:Speaking of Global warming... on Saturday my apricot trees began flowering... on Sunday we had such a blizzard and with snow we haven't seen all through winter.
I am not worried at all that my trees wont feed me with organic apricots, but I really feel sorry and am worried for all those who make a living on farming and harvesting...

Doc I just took a look at your Flickr page. WOW! is all I can come up with. Every photo there is just fantastic. I got my first DSLR in 2009 and started taking photos in manual mode last year. I hope I can take good enough photos to equal to the talent in one of your fingers.

Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Thanks Ken, much appreciated.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr