Sigma 10-20 Questions

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

Sigma 10-20 Questions

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

I just bought me a Sigma 10-20 and have a few questions. I've noticed that there is light fall off on the edges. Is this normal? How does one capture a picture and have everything look evenly lit?
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
http://www.ivanwatkins.com
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sigma 10-20 Questions

Unread post by 01af »

Ivan Watkins wrote:I just bought me a Sigma 10-20 and have a few questions. I've noticed that there is light fall-off on the edges. Is this normal?
Yes, a certain degree of light fall-off (also called vignetting) is normal in wide-angle lenses. I think you've been warned that the Sigma 10-20 mm DC lens has somewhat stronger fall-off than e. g. the Tamron/Konica-Minolta/Sony 11-18 mm. This is not perfectly free of vignetting either but it's so low even at full aperture it usually will go unnoticed.

Ivan Watkins wrote:How does one capture a picture and have everything look evenly lit?
Vignetting usually is strongest at full aperture. Stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11, then vignetting should be greatly reduced, if not gone entirely. Also avoid under-exposure because that tends to emphasize any vignetting. Finally you can always use post-processing software to remove vignetting, for example the Lens Correction filter in Photoshop.

By the way, be aware that there are cases which may look like lens light fall-off but aren't. In particular blue skies, shot with wide-angle lenses, often get rendered darker near the frame's corners which is due to the complex nature of celestial light. That also is the reason why blue sky is an inappropriate subject entirely to test lenses for vignetting.

-- Olaf
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

The Sigma 10-20 has it's limitations, but if there is enough light to stop down, it's a fun lens:

All pics with KM 5D
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

those are all nice shot... man been reading so much text the colours almost knocked me off my chair. How do you lose a lens? when you said lost it in other post I though you meant.. it got run over or something. I'm so paranoid when I change lenses.. it like I have 3 hands.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Great pictures guys.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

User Error

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

Okay, I'm embarassed to say this but my really bad initial experiences were due to my own user error. I had my EV Comp set at -1.5 stops because I was using flash at another shoot and wanted to shoot that much above ambient. Well naturally, like any other person I forgot to reset my EV and thus everything was being grossly underexposed.. thus the horrible light fall off and vignetting. I'm good to go now and might post some images once I get any worthy of posting.

We live, we learn.....
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
http://www.ivanwatkins.com
Chris Malcolm
Heirophant

Unread post by Chris Malcolm »

Ivan Watkins wrote:I just bought me a Sigma 10-20 and have a few questions. I've noticed that there is light fall off on the edges. Is this normal? How does one capture a picture and have everything look evenly lit?
It's the first lens I've had which sometimes shows annoying vignetting. That may be because it's the widest lens I've ever had :-)

I've found that PTLens, which is very good at correcting the geometric distortions of this lens, and pretty good at reducing its occasional chromatic aberrations, is also pretty good at correcting its occasional vignetting.

PTLens URL:
http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

I have recently added the Sigma 10-20 to my bag, and this is one of my first attempts with it.

I posted another from the same location here
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congratulations Brian.
Nice shooting and I like the clouds much
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr