How wide is wide enough?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: How wide is wide enough?

Unread postby sury » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Dusty,
I see what you mean. In fact, on my recent trip to Peru, I felt wanting on the wide side than zoom more often.
I thought I would sorely miss the 70-400. I just had 16-80 on A77II. Very unlikely setup compared to my typical
outfit.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper

harvey
Oligarch

Unread postby harvey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Note that there were two Minolta A Mount 17-35mm lenses, an f/2.8-4 (D) and an f/3.5 G

Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread postby Cogito » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:50 pm

sury wrote:Tony,
Thank you for the examples. I thought I would see more distortion at these focal lengths.
Sury

Sury, the link I provided to Dyxum is really quite informative. If you click on a lens, towards the bottom of the lens description you'll see a link to "Dyxum Forum Sample Images". These are for the lens in question and should satisfy any distortion problems you have.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning

sury

Unread postby sury » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 pm

harvey wrote:Note that there were two Minolta A Mount 17-35mm lenses, an f/2.8-4 (D) and an f/3.5 G

Harvey,
Thank you. Did not know that two versions exist. I was looking at f/2.8-4 as recommended anyway.

Sury

sury

Unread postby sury » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Cogito wrote:
sury wrote:Tony,
Thank you for the examples. I thought I would see more distortion at these focal lengths.
Sury

Sury, the link I provided to Dyxum is really quite informative. If you click on a lens, towards the bottom of the lens description you'll see a link to "Dyxum Forum Sample Images". These are for the lens in question and should satisfy any distortion problems you have.

Tony,
I did check the Dyxum images. I meant I thought I would see more distortion but was pleasantly surprised that your photos did not have any distortion. I am convinced. :)

Sury

sury

Unread postby sury » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

What with our nephew having a baby and all that excitement and tension (due to a premature new born), I was quite preoccupied and everything else was put on a back burner for now. Will take it up later.

Sury

Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread postby Dusty » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:41 pm

sury wrote:What with our nephew having a baby and all that excitement and tension (due to a premature new born), I was quite preoccupied and everything else was put on a back burner for now. Will take it up later.

Sury

What? No photos yet? It's already the 8th!

You're slipping, Sury!

Dusty
A couple of a350's, an a700 and now an a580, plus even more lenses.

UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread postby UrsaMajor » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:52 am

sury wrote:
harvey wrote:Note that there were two Minolta A Mount 17-35mm lenses, an f/2.8-4 (D) and an f/3.5 G

Harvey,
Thank you. Did not know that two versions exist. I was looking at f/2.8-4 as recommended anyway.

Sury

If you decide that you want a Minolta 17-35 2.8-4, let me know. I have one which seems to be in very good condition that I got several years ago in the original box as part of a multi-lens package deal. I have only used it a couple of times, as it never seemed to be as good a match for what I wanted to do as one of my other lenses. Now that I am shooting almost exclusively with my E-mount APS-C mirrorless cameras, I am even less likely to be using it, especially since I just shot a number of images a couple of weeks ago with the Sony 16mm pancake lens that I have found to be quite satisfactory for my needs, and the lens that is most frequently installed on my camera today is the Zeiss 24mm.

I'll be happy to sell it to you on the basis of shipping it to you for you to try, with payment expected if you decide to keep it, and you ship it back if you don't like it. Price would be the going market rate. (I have not looked, so I have no idea at the moment what that is.)

- Tom -

sury

Unread postby sury » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Tom,
Thank you. Will let you know.

Sury

Return to “Lens Lore”