Tamron 90mm Macro with aperture malfunction

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Tamron 90mm Macro with aperture malfunction

Unread post by Birma »

After 4 years I've had to send my Tamron 90mm macro back for a repair. It seems to have developed a fault which means that the aperture doesn't stop down when the shutter is fired. I obviously checked my other lenses and they worked fine on the A99. Pleased that I registered for the 5 year Tamron warranty and could still find all of the paper work.

Image quality has always been fine but this lens has always been a bit flakey in the electronic connection area. Perhaps i just have an unlucky copy.

I might look for a nice manual macro in the same focal length. Less to go wrong and I hardly ever use AF anyway. ;)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: Tamron 90mm Macro with aperture malfunction

Unread post by the_hefay »

Sorry to hear it's giving you problems, but I'm glad you found all the paper work. I forget, what version do you have? I've been considering the Tamron 90mm macro for sometime. I noticed that B&H photo has 3 different ones listed for sale.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Jeff - it is model 272ES, SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di macro 1:1 for Sony a-mount.

Got the lens back yesterday evening by courier from Intro 2020, the Tamron agent in the UK. They had dismantled the lens, cleaned the lens, replaced the mount, and then tested before returning. All works fine now - phew! I'm not sure whether I should be pleased that Tamron offered a 5 year warranty and that Intro2020 repaired and returned the lens so efficiently, or if I should be disappointed that I had a lens fail after 4 years :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I had this a couple of times on the 90mm but not for a long time. I have no idea why but it did come up with F-- one the display (on the crop bodies I used it on) take it off and put it back on works fine. I did clean the camera and lens contacts and since then no issues.