Sigma HSM lenses now!

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Sigma HSM lenses now!

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I interviewed Sigma today.

The first deliveries of the 70-200mm Alpha fit HSM are now in the UK at £799 RRP.

Sigma will be doing deals including old 2X convertors free, but these will not retain AF. A new HSM convertor is due soon.

Further HSM lenses will include the 50mm f1.4, new 24-70mm - new design to try to rival Nikon at f2.8 - 50-150mm, 150-500mm with no OS and 120-400mm with no OS; new non-HSM designs will be 10mm f2.8 fisheye and 4.5 f2.8 circular fisheyes. The Macro flash EMG 140 DG will also be made in Sony ADI-compatible fit.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Sigma HSM lenses now!

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks for the update from Photokina. I was in Köln for a few days in 2005. I remember they had pretty good beer there. :D

Any word on when all those promised Sony mount lenses will be available? Did they say if the OS lenses with no OS will still be the same price in Sony mount?
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Did they have an example of their ringflash in A-mount on hand ?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Go go Sigma!

David you might have to give one of those 70-200's a bit of a trial....(when you get a minute) :)
Greg

ps what are the details on that macro flash? is it a real one al la Minolta, modeling lights with a four tube selectable, ring flash?
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

It's traditional like regulare MFlash but 2 tube with 2 modeling lights/

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flash ... sp?id=3258
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The 70-200mm HSM and the 50mm f1.4 HSM are in stock now apparently in Sony fit. The macro flash may also be available now. You can expect the 50-150mm f2.8 HSM very soon (this is of course NOT A900 compatible!).

However, I was given some figures by Sigma which conflict with Sony's market share statement for Britain. They are selling 2 to 5 times fewer Alpha mount lenses, proportionately, than Sony's increased market share should mean. I have put this down to -

a) They didn't have many to sell...
b) They didn't have HSM
c) Low end Sony buyers are happy with kit lenses, 18-70 + 75-300 and they are done, no more lenses needed
d) High end Sony buyers are star-struck by Carl Zeiss and G series lenses
e) Old Minolta fans have... loads of classic Minolta glass already

I told them that the 70-200mm in HSM would pull far more interest than they have encountered before. The price of £799 UK compares with £1199-£1499 reduced Sony prices (even in officially still £1799) for the SSM 70-200mm, and with retail discounting it will be roughly half. I have seen the Tamron 70-200mm now and I am surprised by its size. It may be light, but it's not small and does not have SSM. I can see Sigma winning even at £100 more unless final tests show the Tamron to be as good as first looks have indicated.

Sony has decided to use the G branding on a new range of high quality glass for its professional HDTV cameras. I also saw the 85mm f1.4 CZ mounted, via an optical relay-adaptor, on a Sony pro HDTV camera - it becomes a 612mm f1.4 equivalent (the factor is 7.2X). The standard 'G' lens for the camera is a 4.4-54mm constant aperture f1.6 zoom which weighs less than a 135m CZ as far as a quick look at it removed from the video camera could tell!

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

regarding their market share points, I'm betting lot of Sony's market share is the A200/A300 cameras. we see old minolta film camera kits being sold and most have only the kit lens and maybe one other. I don't see why that would change these days with digital. the same rules apply. Sony needs to place more A700 and up class cameras for the sales in lenses and accessories to increase like they should. and that would drag up the 3rd party sales.
Tkevan
Acolyte

Unread post by Tkevan »

David,
Were those lenses on the Z7U or the S270U? Did you happen to get a good look at the adapter? Was wondering if it was a ground glass type, or a good quality adapter.

Troy
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Tkevan wrote:David,
Were those lenses on the Z7U or the S270U? Did you happen to get a good look at the adapter? Was wondering if it was a ground glass type, or a good quality adapter.

Troy
It's a habit to just say hello and welcome, whenever I notice someone's first post. So... you know what I will say :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Tkevan
Acolyte

Unread post by Tkevan »

Hi Doc. Plastic surgeon or dermatologist? (I've followed a post or two).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Tkevan wrote:David,

Troy
Good quality like Zeiss.Arri adaptors - not a groundglass relay, a true optical spacer but without Zeiss-Arri style reduction, zero factor I am told.
Attachments
hdvideowith85.jpg
Tkevan
Acolyte

Unread post by Tkevan »

Did you get a chance to play at all with the Z7U with the 85? I'm waiting to win the lottery so I have an extra 6K to spend. :lol:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Tkevan wrote:Hi Doc. Plastic surgeon or dermatologist? (I've followed a post or two).
Dermatologist at your service. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Tkevan wrote:Did you get a chance to play at all with the Z7U with the 85? I'm waiting to win the lottery so I have an extra 6K to spend. :lol:
We aimed it at the ceiling girders and the telephoto effect was amazing, but no, we didn't use it - it was tethered to a desk of course for security. And video is not my main concern (yet...) Also, I had an appointment with Sigma and Sony were keeping me 15 minutes after I was already running late.

David
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Unread post by Buttoneer »

Dr. Harout wrote:
Tkevan wrote:Hi Doc. Plastic surgeon or dermatologist? (I've followed a post or two).
Dermatologist at your service. :D
Excellent. So if I post a close up of this funny rash I developed since Saturday night when I was out on the town you can tell me what I've caught?

Sorry.

I'm interested in something to replace my Bigma which continues to worry me every time I use it. Will I strip the gears or not...? So a new Bigma with A700-proof focus system, whether onboard HSM or just some upgrades, is an attractive prospect. Unless the 70-400 Sony turns up first, of course...