Fuji X10 on it's last legs....

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Fuji X10 on it's last legs....

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sad to say having problems powering on the camera it no longer works twisting the lens to power on. Only way to get it to work is to use the playback button (it has a feature to show images/videos when off with the button), with that and a half press to the shutter, which gets you power even if off. It would appear the mechanism/switch on the lens is faulty hence the issue.
Not ideal but for now a work around. It can still take images/videos using this method

With that in mind I'm open to suggestions for a replacement. I still feel the need for a premium compact, something more portable to carry around get shots and some video. X10 wasn't that small but not too big either. As Fuji abandoned the market for compacts I'm on the hunt for something to eventually take over from the Fuji. Can't complain I had a lot of use from the camera. What I'm looking for is decent low light (photo and video), doesn't have to be trouser pocket size either. Of course I'm aware of the RX series but have not used any of them, the latest one is too pricey for me but the previous ones are more affordable. Also on the table Panasonic maybe Canon though I've not been a fan of their cameras. Open to any suggestions or hands on experience good and bad.

ValeryD
Viceroy

Re: Fuji X10 on it's last legs....

Unread post by ValeryD »

bfitzgerald I not sure if they do shipping to your location, but they have good quality used equipment and not very expensive.
I got some used lenses there and can not complain at all.

https://www.henrys.com/Categories/138-D ... ras.aspx/1

I found for compact size camera my cellphone has a very good camera, new model Samsung or Google pixel has even way better cameras.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

Hi Valery outside Europe is a no no really customs charges/VAT. Not worth it unless you get a guaranteed cost cover (one stop digital did that used to buy lenses from them 100% legit company)
I have a decent phone takes good photos and video clips (lumia 950)...but I'm old school I just can't get my head around using them for anything other than occasional shots. I just get a bit more serious with real camera for some reason oh and the lack of focal range is a problem too (maybe not for those with dual cameras)
Contenders are RX series (not the V too pricey but below that) maybe the LX100 looks interesting similar size to the X10
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I'm like you, don't really trust any company on the net.
The company Henry's Photo more than 100 years in business. :)
https://www.henrys.com/company-info.aspx
May be you right,I thinking sometimes about small good camera.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

I don't mind buying online I've had some bad experiences with ebay though and removal of feedback in cases where the seller tried to scam me. So I try to give that a miss if I can bar small items.
There isn't a lot of choice most makers abandoned the premium compact segment which means makers like Sony jack up the prices, I think the RX100V is a crazy price to pay for a 1" sensor camera, the older ones not as bad but still I think buyers are mad to pay that price. Have no idea why they are selling the Mk I of the RX100 it's a 2012 camera.
Fuji sadly have become obsessed with X mount and don't offer anything at all bar some dodgy WR camera all their bridge and compacts are history which is a shame as they had some good ideas going. X mount entry level isn't nice tried that not even close to what I'm looking for. So it's either Panasonic or Sony, less likely to consider Canon not overly impressed with their dynamic range

They almost had it right with the X10 but goofed up by putting the on/off on the lens no doubt that is why it's not working anymore. Having a real manual zoom lens is nice, other makers don't seem to be picking up these ideas. So if I do get a compact it will have to be a compromise of sorts, I'm in no rush it's not essential. Either that or I dig around for a s/h model
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

These days when I want to carry something fairly small and light I just use my Olympus E-M10II + Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ pancake zoom or Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake (with both lenses size is same as the Panasonic LX100 camera) or Panasonic 14mm f2.5 pancake (size is smaller than the Panasonic LX100 camera).
Olympus_Panasonic.jpg
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 3576 times
bfitzgerald

Problem is low light one reason for the Fuji was the faster lens and covered a common range. If I start buying into another ILC system then the speed isn't there unless you get bigger more expensive lenses (same for e mount if I got a body). I see Sony have a new RX100VI, might push prices down on previous models a bit, I'd have no interest in a £1150 compact with a slow 24-200mm lens myself ;-)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The Fuji X10 has a 2/3" 12mp sensor, right with a 7.1-28.4mm f2-2.8 lens, right? The m4/3 Olympus has a 4/3" 16mp sensor. You can't compare the relatively fast f2 of the X10 to the slower f3.5 of the Olympus. The slower by 1 2/3 stops is made up for by the better, bigger, higher resolution sensor.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here are some good Olympus refurb prices:

https://robertscamera.com/refurbs/refurb-cameras

For example, Olympus E-M10II + 14-42mm for $273.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Back in Stock: Reconditioned Olympus E-M10II for $299

https://www.43rumors.com/back-in-stock- ... i-for-299/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald

Prices seem to have jumped up quite a bit I'll dig around and have a look. The Fuji has for some reason decided to work again no idea why at the moment, but it's getting on a bit needs replacing at some point