Sony DSC-V3: Why the Green effect (random)?

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
aster
Tower of Babel

Sony DSC-V3: Why the Green effect (random)?

Unread post by aster »

Hello,

Last week I was shooting some damaged wall textures to be used for a project with my Sony DSC-V3. Towards the middle of my shooting period one shot came out with this green effect but the next frames to follow are completely normal and nothing like this ever happened before or after. You can see the affected and the unaffected frames side by side in the attachment.

Any reasons that I should seriously worry over about this? Is this a sign that something is wrong with the camera or just a random happening that I should not lose any sleep over?

Thanks,
Yildiz
Attachments
Normal to GREEN to normal again.
Normal to GREEN to normal again.
Last edited by aster on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony DSC-V3: Why the Green effect (random)?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

If it was only once, then try not to pay any attention.
Just a silly question, did you change the card inside? or did it occur just after changing from one media to another (MS to CF or vice versa)?

Oh, I just noticed you've been upgraded to an Oligarch, Yildiz, congratulations. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Dr. Harout!! :D Now what is an Oligarch enpowered with and to do what I wonder? :D Magic lamp, magic carpet, magic lamp, magic stardust....?? :D And start bestowing around magic cameras like A900 perhaps?

As for the camera settings; I adjusted everything while still at home and used 2GB Memory Stick Duo as my only memory card. The whole shoot was sequential with no change of settings during the shoot. I was really suprised when I saw this green frame on the LCD and feared something went wrong, so I shot an other frame of the same subject right after and everything seemed normal once again.

No clue that I'm the source of the problem at all, if I am that is.

Thanks,
Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Then better forget it happened.
As for the oligarch, well... oligarchs are related to money and power. So use them while you can :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:As for the oligarch, well... oligarchs are related to money and power. So use them while you can :lol:
Well, in that case, I'll gladly inform you that I'm still waiting for the horse-drawn carriage of the Secretary of Treasure that will be carrying the big treasure safe to be handed over to me which my title of the new Oligarch entitles me to.

Please make sure to check your doorsteps now and again as you may find a couple of orange boxes with the seals of 'exclusive genuine property ownerships' with your names on them!!

:D
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

My F717 did that once or twice andthen a few months later the CCD went and had to be replaced. I just checked and the V3 was a different sensor and was not part of the recal (just the V1) and don;t see anywhere it mentioning people having those kinds of failures with them. Is it wet or damp where you are?
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Javelin,

Autumn has set in effectively in Istanbul and we have rain and strong winds that chill the weather to lower temperatures. But on the day of the shoot there was no rain, the sun was out and bright, with the only downside being the wind. We had very strong winds on the shooting day and as a result the temperature fluctuated from high to low in just a couple of minutes.

Do you think this kind of windy and chilly weather can affect sensor behavior for worse?

Thanks for letting me know about the F717's sensor behavior...V3 is such a tactful little camera and I always take good care of it that I would hate it needing any repair in the future actually.

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

well sony's sensor problem was related to humidity. When they changed mine they some new seals that weren't there before as well as changing out the CCD. it could be the rapid temperature change coause some condensation inside... but again it doens't look like it happening with V3's so maybe yours can tolerate the humidity
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks Javelin,

Almost a year ago I did use the V3 under harsh weather conditions. It was snowing and temperature was around +4-5 C degrees but V3 was still going good. After bringing it inside the house where central heating was on around +18-21 C degrees, I took it out of its bag after it slowly reached room temperature and checked for water drops from melted snow and condensation. There was no sign of condensation at all. I think the seals are in good condition.

Hopefully nothing worse will happen...

Thank you for taking the time to enlighten the sensor situation and the heads up. Much appreciated! :D
Yildiz