What (Sony) compact?

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bossel
Viceroy

What (Sony) compact?

Unread post by bossel »

Thinking of buying a compact for my wife - any recommandations? She mentioned she likes Sony. Not due to my DSLR, it's just a name she likes...It should be compact and stylish. I did a quick search this morning and found most models are at 12Mpixels now (arrrggghh). Found these W220/270/290 models, are these any good?
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: What (Sony) compact?

Unread post by Javelin »

My wife picked a T series. she liked the screen and it seems competent enough and well made. My daughter wants one too. formerly she had an oly compact but I guess it's getting old. The only thing I told my wife was to avoid the ones that have little shutter doors over the lens (it wouldn't survive her purse).
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm not sure I'd go for any of the Sony compacts myself. Panasonic makes the most attractive compacts right now in my opinion (nice wide angles and usable higher ISO). However, after some research, it looks like the Sony H20, H50, T700, and W300 fair well in the reviews. The "H" models, especially, seem to have done best in DPReview's comparison tests, only to be robbed of their rankings--mysteriously--by Panasonic cameras (see links below). I know that DPReview's conclusion pages aren't canon (get it? :lol: ), but the individual reviews can be very enlightening.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209gro ... page16.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109sup ... page16.asp
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I agree with Kevin that the Panasonic compacts do look very good at the moment. They also have had good reviews at http://www.cameralabs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... C_TZ7_ZS3/. The rear LCD screens on the Sony T series are lovely. I guess if you go with a Sony you will be able to share Memory Sticks :D . Olympus do a nice range of rugged (impact/waterproof) compacts if this is an issue. Let us know how you get on.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Maybe I should wait till compacts have 24 Megapixels :roll: Seriously, might pop into a store to check the handling - I have tried some time ago the 'sliders' like in the T series and didn't like it, also T series start at 35mm :wink: I'll let you know what I decide, either I'll buy this week or not at all 8) It's all about size, handling, design. High ISO or fast shooting or manual control is not a criteria.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

my daughter decided she wants something else too. a Sony survey a week or so ago was for a device about the size of a side plate that fits the camera and rotates, it also swings the camera up and down and uses the cameras face and smile detection to automatically take pitures of people in the surrounding area. so if someone is smiling in the room the camer stops shoots a picture and contunues... for use at gatherings and parties.

You can see the black camera sitting in one on the lucite stand
http://www.flickr.com/photos/workshop/3401998970/
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've seen that in action at photokina. It kept all the Sony staff so amused they had no time to talk to visitors :-)

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I bought a W-120 for my girlfriend and she just love it. Nice colors and less noise than her 1.5 years old Coolpix.

Somehow I prefer that model with buttons than the T series with the touch screen, because soon or late, the screen will get scratched.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

her camera before has the little window shutter that went across the lens when the camera was off. it lasted about a week banging around in her purse so I removed it. this one has been in her purse since Christmas with her keys, makeup, spare change .. whatever else is in there... I suspect it's a wormhole because whenever we need something, whatever it is is always in her purse! Anyway. not a scratch yet on the screen but a few dings in the aluminum case.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

The best to do would be to buy an A900... yes an A900 :!:
You'll tell her that it's the best Sony and you bought it specially for her... eventually she will not use it... et voila, you are a happy A900 owner :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I agree about Panasonic compacts. I have the LX3 which has a 24-60 f2 Leica designed lens and is 10mp. The only downside for me is the lack of an OVF but I use a Voigtlander 21mm VF on the hot shoe - this approximates well to the 24mm end of the zoom range (better than Voigtlander's 25 v/f apparently) and is much cheaper than that offered by Panasonic. I have been delighted by this little camera - it is very well made, metallic and sturdy and oozes quality. The LCD panel is actually pretty good except in direct sunlight. I shoot exclusively in RAW with it and cannot comment on the jpgs but others have done so, and very favourably. The image quality is superb in my view and I have printed up to 11x18 in the wide screen mode.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

And the winner is ....... Sony T900 Bronze, just ordered. Nearly bought a well-priced T700 in a local shop yesterday, but the wife didn't like the colours that were available (told you, it's not about high ISO). Its' small, pretty and functional. Also my wife loves to look at the pics on the camera during the day, and the T900 has a 3.5inch 900K pixels display :D which is perfect for that!
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Huh, maybe the new entry level alphas will do alright, too! :)
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --