Underwater DSC-F717

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Mike
Oligarch

Underwater DSC-F717

Unread post by Mike »

A few underwater pictures with a DSC-F717 in an Ikelite housing. I ran across them looking for the portrait for the challenge thread but I didn't want to hijack it.
Turtle.jpg
Turtle.jpg (182.84 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
eel.jpg
eel.jpg (149.68 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Underwater DSC-F717

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Both are good shots, but I like the first most. It's a great shot.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Nice pictures, I really like the first one.

I have done some experience in the past with Canon S40 and later S70 with underwater case. The last setup was my sold Fuji F30 with a underwater case again.

You can try (even if it is JPEG) to do a little White balance adjustment, you will be able to get some blue feeling in the picture making it almost real.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Mike
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike »

Frank,

Color processing on underwater pictures is tricky. Since the water filters out some colors more than others there's a fine line between looking "real" and looking surreal. Here is another shot of the same turtle with more processing, let me know what you think.
Turtle 2.jpg
Turtle 2.jpg (185.99 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
Mike
Mike
Oligarch

Yet another turtle

Unread post by Mike »

Different turtle with processing.
Turtle 3.jpg
Turtle 3.jpg (201.34 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

the first one looks really good. but your right it looks like he's floating through clear air rather than water. and I can't decide whether thats good or not. it might look too much like a text book illustration, Am I makiing sense ?
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I prefer the processed one, because when you are in the water this is what you see ... , but this depends of the audience.

When I was doing picture under the water with my Canon S70, I always brand with me a little with plastic bag in my swim suite (like grocery plastic bag). With that I was able to expend the bag under the water and make my white balance calibration, or almost has a reference for white balance adjustment after on my computer later (RAW picture). In holidays, some time space is an issue on the memory cards, and I was able to save space by shooting directly on JPEG with the correct colour balance. It is even essential when it is time to take movies.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I like the processed one as well. Of course it depends upon depth as to what the eye sees - light being the limiting factor - but the human eye/brain combination is amazing in it's ability to compensate for WB differences.

Dusty